Adding heated mirrors

Discussion in 'Paint / Body / Detailing' started by schwarze_crewcab, Nov 13, 2013.

1. schwarze_crewcab

schwarze_crewcab OBS Enthusiast

How involved is it to add heated mirrors to a rig that has power non-heated mirrors already? I am going to add a new of the new style tow mirrors and would like to get them heated if its not much work to rig it up. Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

2. JollyGreen

JollyGreen Metalworking Madman

Pretty sure this is/was covered in the thread started by "88GMCtruck" about GMT800 tow mirrors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

3. schwarze_crewcab

schwarze_crewcab OBS Enthusiast

I was more wondering what wiring is there. I believe my fuse box has a ace for heated mirrors, so I didn't know if the wiring for the switch was in the dash, and if there was already wiring ran out to the doors.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

4. great white

great white Retirement countdown!

Depends on how involved you want to get.

Wiring and a switch can get you up and running. Kinda messy though.

Here's what I did for my heated dodge mirrors (the actual mirror is immaterial as long as it is heated):

I used a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon HVAC head which has the rear defrost button:

!B,hncb!!Wk~$%28KGrHqUH-CcEqv,bI5wTBKr37upoHg~~_35.jpg

The wiring is already in the dash harness for it. You just plug it in. The rest of the plugins are the same as the pickup HVAC.

Then, install a wire in cavity D9 (it's right beside the door buzzer) of the convenience center under the dash:

junctionpanel.png

If you can't figure out which one it is, hook up a 12v test light and when it goes on and off with the HVAC switch; you've found the right connector.

This is the OEM connection for the HVAC rear defrost button and would power the rear defroster grid if you had one. We're going to run a wire out to power the mirror instead. This is also the same place where the OEM heated mirrors would be connected.

Then you just give the other wire on the mirror a ground.

that's it, you're done!

It's installed like OEM and has the timed off function just like factory.

As a side bonus, if you ever change your rear window to one that has the integrated defroster grid you can power it from the same circuit. Just like OEM.

I have a truck cap so I installed a defroster grid on the rear window, ran a trigger wire from the D9 cavity back to a relay and powered the rear grid off the trailer power feed wiring. Works great.

So my most rear-est window is defrosted as well as my mirrors.

:)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    JCribb and nickthehick78 like this.
  5. DieselMike1

DieselMike1 Newbie

Where did you find the wiring plugs that fit in the convenience center?

6. biggiecamp

biggiecamp Newbie

Old thread, but I’m pretty sure this is the GM part # for what you’re looking for.