Adding Children's Car Seat Anchors. Any Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2000 CCSB and am am looking to add some of those seat anchor for the LATCH systems that are sold for all new children's seats. Does anyone have any experience with these? I can't seem to find much information out there, but I was thinking of adding some brackets to the existing seatbelt bolts and anchoring them in that way. Seems like a much safer alternative than using the stock seatbelts that tend to loosen up.

Darin1047

Reaction score
The seat belt anchors for your truck I believe you have to drill a hole threw the back of the cab to mount the anchor. When I had my last truck I took some heavy duty angle iron and attached it to the rear seat bolts. There was enough threads on the stud that I could just put the angle iron on with a lock nut on top. Took another angle iron piece and went vertical to secure the car seat too. Was very secure. I pulled on it all I could and never budged.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using the seatbelts is safe, LATCH was developed to make it easier and more universal. More car seats are

installed wrong with seat belts than LATCH, people don't get them tight enough.
Modifying safety systems is never a good idea. Collision forces are far more than what you can
pull by hand. a baby has the inertial weight of an elephant in a collision.
Too stiff can also be bad.
You didn't mention the child age, but making sure they keep the shoulder strap in the right place is important.
When my kids were young we often hauled other kids also, any mods you make are a lawsuit liability.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How many car seats are you installing? If it's just 1 I've had good luck in the middle rear on both trucks. I put my knees into them and crank the belt within an inch of its life and the seat doesn't move with a kiddo inside. #2 os big enough for a booster so never had to worry about 2 tiny kids at once back there.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My son is 3.5 years old now, and we are expecting our 2nd in July. I want to be sure that they are both secure when driving in the truck. I plan to have the new little one in the middle and my older son on probably the passenger side. Another option I've been considering is swapping out the rear seat entirely for a newer one from say a Tahoe or something that already has those LATCH's installed. I would get the newer latches as well as the ability to fold the seat up.

Anyone have a good picture of the brackets they've made?

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran 3 car seats in my 95 ext cab on seat belts for a couple years with no issues. If you're worried about the belts loosening up, use the safety t-clips that come with most car seats.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The top belt is really the only one that makes a difference. I put an eyelet bolt up top behind the back seat of the wife's Grand Prix and honked the lower back down with me in the seat. For the shoulder belts just pull them out all the way and they'll ratchet back in. Seat isn't going anywhere. The real reason for the latch system is to make it more convenient and more difficult to screw up a car seat install for stupid people.

Chris Cota

Reaction score
Do the rear belts on the 94 ext cabs ratchet when pulled all the way out? I have a son now and when I installed his seat for the first time I had thought the rear belts “locked” also, I know it’s a 1994 but is there a location for the LATCH System? I have the older interior with squared dash and he sits in the rear passenger side.