Adding AUX Input to OBS Stock Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Yeah, what he said, "How can this be done on a stock tape deck w/o the cd player. Or can it....."

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I did it to the tape deck model that I installed in my trailer. They are setup differently as the radio tuner is separate from the amp part. I probed the connector with a headphone lead and it was a similar to this mod, except you don't need to do anythign but plug the AUX line in.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures or notes of it when I did it. Tons of people asked me already... I really don't feel like pulling my stereo apart again unfortunately.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
For the 95-98 models, it is basically the same as what I posted. The internal amp turns on when the tape or cd player is playing. hence the reason for having to have a cd in while playing your device. The AUX button is for controlling an external device to activate it "turn on" or play. That signal is a data line that you cannot interface without an aftermarket device.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But does the internals of the tape deck look the same as the 1 in the picture?, just wanting to know if I can tap into the same wires

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok how do I know what wires are for L&R channels. Do I need to find a powered speaker and jyst test the wires?

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions but im not the most advanced person when it comes to srereo internals.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you do this to the tape deck? I want to add it to mine. I had the external cd player and removed it because it didn't work.

wewsel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tape deck is different inside, the tuner, tape and amp are seperate. You can tap into the L and R between the tuner and amp directly with a switching 3.5MM jack, without the need to have a tape playing.

how about a write up on this?