Add another Magnaflow, or extend tail pipes over axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My K2500 has the cats eliminated. The stock 3" (OD) pipes go to an 18" long dual in/out magnaflow muffler with turn down tips dumping right before the passenger rear tire. It sounds/runs good, but is a bit louder than I'd like in the cab.

Should I have an exhaust shop run the dual tail pipes over the rear axle and have them exit behind the passenger rear wheel, or add another 18" magnaflow in line with the one I have now?

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My K2500 has the cats eliminated. The stock 3" (OD) pipes go to an 18" long dual in/out magnaflow muffler with turn down tips dumping right before the passenger rear tire. It sounds/runs good, but is a bit louder than I'd like in the cab.

Should I have an exhaust shop run the dual tail pipes over the rear axle and have them exit behind the passenger rear wheel, or add another 18" magnaflow in line with the one I have now?

The quietest arrangement, in the cab, would have the pipe(s) going all the way back, with the tips at least to the bumper's outer edge, and the tips pointed away.

A quieter muffler installed in your current set-up might help.

Or you could combine these two ideas.

I've nener heard of anyone putting two mufflers in-line, on the same pipe.

joe

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same issue presently with the same magnaflow muffler pipes exit at a swept angle behind the wheels. I have decided a need to go quieter. Was looking for at the Walker quiet flow but can't find one in 2 in 2 out yet. Any recommendations would be great.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
its common to add a glass-pack (aka resonator) before the muffler to help the muffler do its job more efficiently.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Magnaflow with 2 1/2 tailpipes to the rear of the bed turned down at each corner, and at a certain rpm it has a drone that is annoying, thought I was toning it down from the Flowmaster, and it did somewhat other than the drone/reverb at low to mid operating rpm.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
its common to add a glass-pack (aka resonator) before the muffler to help the muffler do its job more efficiently.

It seems like somebody would've invented a quiet muffler by now. It's only been 100 years.

joe

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
It seems like somebody would've invented a quiet muffler by now. It's only been 100 years.

joe

They have, every stock OEM car/truck on the road has one on it.

The resonator before a flowmaster or other performance muffler reduces the drone and crackle while keeping a deep throaty sound.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They have, every stock OEM car/truck on the road has one on it.

The resonator before a flowmaster or other performance muffler reduces the drone and crackle while keeping a deep throaty sound.
Yes and that is what the guy at the muffler shop suggested when I came back and talked with him about it. I guess if I drove it every day it would be a problem.