Ad244 Alternator Swap + Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just wanted to do a quick write up and add a little more info to the existing thread on swapping the factory alternator with the High Output Alternator (AD244) from the newer trucks (99-05). I am also going to have to say That I am not responsible for anything that happens to your truck, be safe, disconnect your battery before doing any electrical work, always double check your work. I would say this is one of the best mods that I have done to this truck but do it at your own risk… I am doing this because when I swapped my alternator, I would have liked to have known what I know now about Alternators but this info was not found in the existing threads. I spent countless hours reading up on how 3 Wire alternators works and how you can use a 3 Wire alternator to it's full potential with only one mod, so I figured I'd share this info with those who are interested.

So starting off, the first Alternators to come out were self exciting alternators. They would not always charge at low rpm (i.e. stopped at a light in rush hour). They then came out with Alternators that were electronically excited by a wire that ran from your gauge cluster in series with a resistor.
You must be registered for see images attach

Alternators used to have their voltage externally regulated but modern technology has allowed them to have the voltage internally regulated using an internal Voltage regulator. This Voltage Regulator will regulate the voltage to 14.5 Volts give or take. Here's where it gets interesting for those of you who are not electrically inclined lol! Whenever you pass current through a wire, wether it be a 22 gauge wire or a 4O wire, there will be a voltage drop. As a wire gets hotter (due to ambient temperature or a higher current being drawn), there will be a higher voltage drop. Voltage = Ohms x Amps. Re-arrange that equation, Ohms = Voltage/Amps. There is a chart that comes in handy and will give you the total resistance in a wire/1000 Feet. I will demonstrate using a 10 gauge wire. A 10 Gauge wire has 0.9989 Ohms/1000 Feet. Say the wire going from your battery to the junction box is 10 feet long, the wire will have 0.009989 Ohms of resistance. Now is where we take our formula, (V = O x A), and we will say your alternator is going full bore (140 A), 0.009989 X 140 = 1.398 V. Now what did that give us you ask, Voltage drop. That means that if your alternator is charging at 14.5 Volts (at the source), by the time Voltage gets to the junction box, it is at 14.3 Volts. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred. Your are basically "trading" .2 Volts to Heat up the wire. I am not going to calculate Voltage drop for all different size wires, that Is for you to do, I gave you the formula.

Now, the bigger the wire, the less resistance it will have per 1000 Feet, therefore you will minimize the amount of Voltage drop. I realize the 10 Gauge is not the exact size wire going from the battery to the JB in our trucks but I used it for an example. Now, there are two things that can be done here, you can either run a big 4 Gauge wire or bigger from the Battery to The JB, another big wire from the Alternator to the Battery and a Ground (AKA Big Three upgrade). The easiest way to compensate for this Voltage drop, is to use what is already built into these 3 Wire Alternators, looking right at us, called the sensing wire. You will notice when you look at the Oem Alternator plug, it has provisions for 4 terminals but it only has one pin in it. Look at the alternator itself, it's also got 4 Pins on it. Did the Manufacturer just put these in because they had some extra material? Probably not. These Connections are know as P.L.I.S. The Terminals are used for the following:

P= Used to drive a tachometer (Mostly for Diesels)
L= To Indicator Lamp
I= Used To Excite Alternator
S= Sensing Wire

Terminal "S" is the one that we are interested in. These Alternators have a built in remote sensing wire. This wire is normally used to sense Voltage at a remote location like your Junction Box, if it is not connected, the alternator will default to 14.5 volts output. Using the example above, if you route a wire from the JB to this terminal on the alternator, if the Alternator senses that the Voltage is 14.3 Volts at the JB, it will charge at 14.7 Volts to compensate for this Voltage Drop. So Now, You will have 14.5 Volts at the JB. All that I did to modify the OEM plug was add one of the wires from the plug that I grabbed off the AD244 At the junk yard, drill and file a slot in my oem connector and the wire from the Ad244 snapped right into my oem connector.

Now, the only problem that I can see by doing this mod is, since the alternator charging wire goes directly to the battery, If you have a significant Voltage drop to your JB, although the Alternator will compensate for this "drop", it may overcharge the battery. If for whatever reason, you have .5 Volts being lost from the Battery and the JB, your alternator will now charge at 15.0V which may overcharge the battery or boil the water out of it if you do not have a maintenance free battery. Like I said, do this mod at your own risk, I am going to try it, so far, my headlights are brighter, my interior lights are brighter and my power hungry amps are also happy. If you are looking at doing the AD244 Swap, I will tell you this, it is worth every penny. I got mine from a junk yard for $30. Just having your truck running, you are drawing around 40Amps, With it running, fan on high and both my stereo amps going, the Alternator was charging at 83 A. Now that I know this, I'm surprised that my Oem Alternator was keeping up lol!

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found some useful info, it's offical GM TSB

IPC, Interior Lights and/or Headlamps Flicker - keywords battery courtesy electrical flucuation generator head intermittent lamp light #PIT3170E - (Jan 11, 2006)
IPC, Interior Lights and/or Headlamps Flicker
1999-2005 All Cadillac Full Size Utilities

1999-2005 All Chevrolet Full Size Trucks and Utilities

1999-2004 Chevrolet Blazer, S-10

1999-2005 All GMC Full Size Trucks and Utilities

1999-2004 GMC Envoy Classic, Jimmy, Sonoma

1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

Without Regulated Voltage Control

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may have comments of a flickering light condition in the IPC, interior lamps or headlights. This condition is most likely to be noticed when the engine RPM is low and when high electrical load requirements are in place on the generator.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: Review bulletin 02-06-03-008A - Low Voltage Display on IP Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, before proceeding with this PI.

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery/batteries.
Slide the protective boot on the generator BAT terminal aside and remove the retainer and wire cable from the BAT terminal.
Unplug the generator 4-cavity terminal from the top of the generator.
Inspect cavity D on the generator connector for a red cavity plug. If a red cavity plug is present, it is not necessary to replace the generator connector. Remove the CPA and save. Remove the red cavity plug and continue with step 9. If a red cavity plug is NOT present, continue with the next step.
Remove and save the orange Weatherpack seal and CPA from the 4-way connector.
Using the proper terminal removal tool, remove the two or three wires from the 4-way connector. On vehicles without Supplemental Brake Assist (SBA), install a red cavity plug, P/N 12059168, into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector, P/N 12186568. On some 2003 and 2004 model year vehicles with SBA, install the dark blue (Circuit 5668) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector.
Depending on the vehicles model and year, install the brown wire (Circuit 25) or red wire (Circuit 225) of the vehicles wiring harness into cavity "B" of the new 4-way connector.
Install the gray (Circuit 23) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "C" of the new 4-way connector.
Obtain a piece of 0.80 mm/18GA black wire, 254 mm (8 in) long.
Install a red terminal seal, P/N 12048086, and terminal, P/N 12048074, (crimp and solder) on one end of the new black wire.
Install the new black wire into cavity "D" of the new 4-way connector.
Reinstall the connector seal and CPA, from the original connector, to the new connector.
Plug the 4-way connector into the generator.
Route the black wire to the generator BAT terminal, sliding the wire into the small end to the output terminal boot, along side the generator output wire.
Obtain a ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) that is the same diameter as the positive post of the generator. Crimp and solder the ring terminal from the terminal kit (J-38125-D) on to the open end of the new black wire.
Place the generator output wire and the new black wire onto the generator BAT terminal and install the retainer.
Connect the negative battery cable.
Note: This modification will not work if the vehicle is utilizing the new "Regulated Voltage Control" system. This is new feature on some full-size trucks and utilities for the 2005 model year. Please inspect the vehicle prior to performing this modification.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

kd6aaj

Reaction score
Great writeup, thank you!

I looked all over the internet and couldn't find the exact size belt I need for the AD244 install in my 1994 Chevy Suburban K2500 7.4L TBI engine, so I figured it out myself by marking the idler and drawing a template of the rotation of the idler with the CS130 (105 Amp) alternator installed.

Alternator is driver side mounted.

The stock belt size = 100", but the current belt = 99" (came with the Suburban when I bought it used), probably downsized it to avoid slipping.

A 102" belt made my marks align perfectly with the AD244 alternator installed. That's 3" LONGER than the previous belt with the CS130! 2" longer than the stock 100" belt.

My alternator front bracket is a thick solid cast iron, that was very fun to drill out!

I just bent the steel rear bracket down and back (with a big hammer) to clear the AD244, with just enough clearance to remove the valve cover.

The replacement inner bolt is a 10mm through-bolt (3/8" works too).

The outer bolt (closer to the driver side fender) is a 10mm bolt that passes through the AD244 and threads into the cast iron front bracket.

Hopefully this info helps someone.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On 96 and up Vortec when installing the larger option 140 to 200 amp factory alternator on 5.7, start with a serp' belt 1 inch longer, then check the tensioner tabs for location. Too tight add another inch try again. My Tahoe used a 1 inch longer than stock size.
Good luck.