ACDelco Ignition Lock Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
My 96 needs a new ignition lock cylinder and saw RockAuto has an ACDelco one, but it says it doesn't come with keys? Description says "PART REQUIRES CODING AT GM DEALERSHIP." What exactly does that mean? Will the security light turn on if I replace it? I've already got new blank GM keys sitting around, so it's not the end of the world, but I'm confused as to why it doesn't come with new keys.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm assuming you take the cylinder to the dealer and they key it to your truck. Keys wouldnt be needed because there reusing your old keys

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I found this, it's for a 2009 burb but I bet the procedure is very similar and it's totally possible to rekey any lock cylinder to a key you already have... still looking for more relevant info though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found this, it's for a 2009 burb but I bet the procedure is very similar and it's totally possible to rekey any lock cylinder to a key you already have... still looking for more relevant info though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ford lock cylinders come with wafers and lube, so you get the new cylinder and code it to the key, I lack this talent but my parts department manager can look at your key and code the lock cylinder to it by eye/hand.

Therefore it is a skill that can be learned, and you shouldn't HAVE to take it to anyone if you don't want to. I also don't know if GM lock cylinders come with wafers etc. if they don't it will probably not be easy to source the correct ones.

EDIT: I didn't watch the vid at first, but it really is that simple, just have to know what you're doing, no special tools or anything either generally

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I'm assuming you take the cylinder to the dealer and they key it to your truck. Keys wouldnt be needed because there reusing your old keys
That makes sense, I was hoping they wouldn't my key since it's a copy, but maybe it would actually work out since it would match the replacement key better than my stock ignition cylinder. I can't even turn it to the accessory position because the key doesn't exactly match the cylinder, smh.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually got a 1aauto cylinder. It came with new keys. Easy enough. At first 2 keys bothered me but then again older chevys had 2 keys lol. 1 for engine and 1 for doors. Plus I got keyless entry so really doesn't matter

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
How do you like that one? How long has it lasted? I'm almost tempted to cancel the Rock Auto cylinder in favor of the 1A Auto cylinder since I've had good luck them.

Reaction score
When I replaced mine, I went with whichever one LMC Truck offered. It came with keys and dropped right in. I figured the whole process out in 3 hours without ever having done it before.
Let me tell you, it beats turning the ignition on with pliers, then popping the clutch to start it every time.

Attachments

• 20200330_160226.jpg
    20200330_160226.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200331_111916.jpg
    20200331_111916.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any competent locksmith should be able to rekey your truck's locks. If you want to rekey multiple trucks to one set of keys, just pull the locks and take them in.