AC turn-on issue after running motor at car shows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
truck is a 99.

what i've replaced: compressor, accumulator, both schraeder valves, orifice tube, and fan clutch. i'm fairly sure i replaced the switch on the accumulator

haven't replaced: pressure switch on back of the compressor. same with the low pressure switch. i don't know enough about AC systems to know whether this is the culprit or not but wanted to get your opinions.

AC works well overall and system holds freon. truck could use a pusher fan or new condenser (previous owner replaced it with cheap china part) for when low speed or in-traffic to cool temps down further but not a big deal.

i go to a lot of car shows in the summertime. i idle or run the motor at 2k rpm for extended periods of time with the hood open (stereo build with multiple alternators). i only fire up the AC on the ride there and ride back. most of the time the compressor does not engage until i get a decent bit down the road, 5-10 minutes up to 20. once it does it's usually fine for the rest of the ride.

this also sometimes happens once in a while when beginning my ride from cold start. the only oddity i can find is when i push the AC button, sometimes the AC light doesn't come on, but if i tap the control unit a bit the led usually turns on. not sure if the led is losing connection or if that's related.

Last edited:

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the compressor clutch air gap. Gap too large, or voltage supply to the coil reduced by corroded wires/connections, the compressor can engage erratically.

what should the gap be? compressor is a new delco part. i can check voltage supply at the plug as well