AC System Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately with the swap everything is possible
Always start diagnostics with the basics
Power and grounds
Then you can move forward with confidence
Compressors have stupid grounds locations that don’t like to be messed with as the harness ages.
Diode is suspect weak point
If you tug on it could break brittle plastic and electrical connection

I have seen thermostat changed (AC compressor ground)
Cause issues

If refrigerant has leaked out
Change all o rings
and inject some oil/dye into
New dryer (they are cheap)

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that link! . One of the best writeups on AC that I have seen yet. Definitely worth the time to read it, maybe more than once.
Not a problem-I used it on many occasions. And defo put dye in the system and see where it leaks first-no point starting without it. Since you said your ac worked for few days I suspect leak to be smallish-radiator possibly(top left corner where my went). Is yours dual ac-front and back seperate controls? If so the look at the smaller pipe where the rubber bits of hose are-the pipe corrodes under them as sand and dirt settles and causes it to corrode.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that link! . One of the best writeups on AC that I have seen yet. Definitely worth the time to read it, maybe more than once.
And one more thing-you will have to recharge AC to check for leaks. Either use the refill bottles but then you'll defo lose all money-or go to recharge shop-have them refill with dye-use it for an hour or so and then go back and have em pump what's left out-this way you'll lose only some of the gas but wherever it leaks will be already out of system and will show. It's good to have a friendly garage to do that-explain the situation. This gas is really expensive.

Sanden 4440 for 5.7 -finally I give you the whole name lol

Last edited:

Dreddy1

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion everyone. I agree that's a great link to follow.

I'm pretty sure the refrigerant I added after the swap leaked out. It was dyed and I actually haven't found the source in the visible field. I think that may lead me to the rear system which is behind a lot of interior trim. I've got to remove it all and look back there. Right after the swap I had installed a sanden compressor, and it smoked almost right after installation. I put the original delco back on and it worked, but is the sanden type actually better? I'll replace the existing one in this process probably just to know that it's working. Low side pressure was always too high if I remember right.

All the electrical is working, but not standard due to the swap. It's essentially turned on by relay activated from the dash button. Clutch is wired in series with the low and high limit switches. That was verified to work as expected. There is a ecu enable in the stock system and the ECU has been pulled for Cummins 12v goodness.