Ac problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mata1k

Reaction score
I apologize if I’m not in the correct thread, but I have been having uses with no air coming out the vents got a new ac compressor, fan, and ac control and can’t figure out what’s wrong

I have a 98 c1500

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are several threads in here that cover this but you may have to search a while. Your problem likely has nothing to do with the compressor etc. The mechanics of the HVAC on these trucks were not designed to last forever (some do though) and at some point you may need to tear into the dash and replace actuators, gaskets, and who knows what . I am not an expert on these but some of the members are (that is another way of saying that mine still works!). Good luck, welcome to the forum, introduce yourself in the lounge and post what the final fix is for this problem .

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had some air issues a few years back which came down to a bad blend door. There are three actuators in the cabin air system: (1) the recirc door which controls whether air comes from inside the cabin or outside and is located slightly outboard of center of the passenger side foot well, (2) the blend door which controls the blend of hot and cold air and is located behind the dash in the middle and is mounted directly on the coil box, and (3) the mode door which controls which vents get the air and is located just inboard of the drivers side footwell. Only the mode door actuator is easy to replace. Another thing to be aware of is that GM, to save money, deleted the cabin air filter in these trucks so you tend to get debris accumulating in the coil box which can block air flow. You can reach your hand into the box with the fan removed and check for debris. It's a tight and awkward fit and you can't get your hand in there far but I managed to pull out a fair amount of leaves and pine needles. Needless to say I keep it in recirc during Fall here in New England since. I presume you can hear the fan running but are getting no air from the vents. If the fan isn't running then you have an electrical issue.

Last edited:

mata1k

Reaction score
I had some air issues a few years back which came down to a bad blend door. There are three actuators in the cabin air system: (1) the recirc door which controls whether air comes from inside the cabin or outside and is located slightly outboard of center of the passenger side foot well, (2) the blend door which controls the blend of hot and cold air and is located behind the dash in the middle and is mounted directly on the coil box, and (3) the mode door which controls which vents get the air and is located just inboard of the drivers side footwell. Only the mode door actuator is easy to replace. Another thing to be aware of is that GM, to save money, deleted the cabin air filter in these trucks so you tend to get debris accumulating in the coil box which can block air flow. You can reach your hand into the box with the fan removed and check for debris. It's a tight and awkward fit and you can't get your hand in there far but I managed to pull out a fair amount of leaves and pine needles. Needless to say I keep it in recirc during Fall here in New England since. I presume you can hear the fan running but are getting no air from the vents. If the fan isn't running then you have an electrical issue.
Thank you so much I will be giving it a try!

mata1k

Reaction score
There are several threads in here that cover this but you may have to search a while. Your problem likely has nothing to do with the compressor etc. The mechanics of the HVAC on these trucks were not designed to last forever (some do though) and at some point you may need to tear into the dash and replace actuators, gaskets, and who knows what . I am not an expert on these but some of the members are (that is another way of saying that mine still works!). Good luck, welcome to the forum, introduce yourself in the lounge and post what the final fix is for this problem .
Thank you so much !