AC hose help for 88 GMC 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcain226

Reaction score
I have the original R12 system and tried to convert to 134 by just installing the conversion Schrader valves, replacing the dryer and orifice tube, and putting 134 Freon in. It worked, but I have a leak at the hose connection at the back of the compressor, as well as at the high pressure Schrader valve. The compressor clutch is also making some squeaking noise now as well.
I am going to bite the bullet and replace the compressor, condenser, dryer, orifice tube, and suction and discharge hose. The hose I can’t find listed anywhere is the 2nd hose that comes out of the condenser and goes into the evaporator. The orifice tube also goes into this line. I believe some places list it as the liquid line.
All the parts websites only show 1 hose available for the 88 and it’s the suction/discharge hose that goes into the back of the compressor.

Does anyone know what the name of this hose is?

jcain226

Reaction score
How did you remove/replace all the refrigerant oil?

The oil used in R12 systems is not compatible with R134a.
I didn’t; just put new Freon in. It worked until it didn’t. That’s why I am changing all of the components now.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure to flush every part you re-use. You must get rid of all traces of the "R12" oil.

Be sure to use "Barrier" hose if you're installing new. Old hoses get the pores sealed-up in use; new hoses intended for R12 will leak R134a. You'll have to get R134a-compatible hose(s), and--I think--R134a compatible O-rings.

jcain226

Reaction score
Be sure to flush every part you re-use. You must get rid of all traces of the "R12" oil.

Be sure to use "Barrier" hose if you're installing new. Old hoses get the pores sealed-up in use; new hoses intended for R12 will leak R134a. You'll have to get R134a-compatible hose(s), and--I think--R134a compatible O-rings.
Thanks! So I am planning on changing compressor, condenser, dryer, orifice tube, and 134a suction&discharge hose that connects to back of compressor;
Should I also change the hard liquid lines? Anything else that I would need to change? Not planning on changing evaporator core as of now. Is that ok?
TIA!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything with A/C oil in it that you're going to re-use, has to be flushed clean.

When it was me, I got the flush gun from O'Reillys loaner-tool program; and bought the flush solvent from them also.