AC Delco or Standard Motor Products ignition parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShawnN

Reaction score
I'm going to do a complete tuneup on my 99 K3500 7.4L and was wondering what brand to go with. I'm going to use AC Delco double platinum plugs plus wires, cap, rotor and coil. My local auto parts store said their SMP ignition products were better than AC Delco (of course) but thought I'd ask as I'd like to use the most reliable and longest lasting parts.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to the guys at the "local auto parts store". ACDelco is the tried and true brand to go with for these trucks, in my opinion at least. I've had nothing but good luck with them.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you were interested in a good, aftermarket, United Motor Products makes affordable tune up kits. I've put about 5k miles on a new cap, rotor, and wires from them, no complaints. The cap has brass contacts and the wires are silicon. Otherwise, I'd say stick to AC Delco over the random parts house garbage.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you were interested in a good, aftermarket, United Motor Products makes affordable tune up kits. I've put about 5k miles on a new cap, rotor, and wires from them, no complaints. The cap has brass contacts and the wires are silicon. Otherwise, I'd say stick to AC Delco over the random parts house garbage.

That the kit that is available from Rock Auto?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do a complete tuneup on my 99 K3500 7.4L and was wondering what brand to go with. I'm going to use AC Delco double platinum plugs plus wires, cap, rotor and coil. My local auto parts store said their SMP ignition products were better than AC Delco (of course) but thought I'd ask as I'd like to use the most reliable and longest lasting parts.

I worked at a parts store while I was in College. People who work at parts stores (Besides myself, of course, ;)) are not always car guys/gals. Sales goals and strategies are pushed onto them and sometimes (Oreilly's) we would receive spifs (money on our check) for selling a particular item or brand during a period of time. They also pay barely above minimum wage. If you get lucky, you may find someone who actually works on cars and is knowledgeable... but those are few and rare, so ask the forum like you did! :cheers:

I always say buy what your budget dictates, but be prepared for the consequences... If your vehicle is down, and you need a part get to work tomorrow and you can only afford the cheapest part, then obviously you get that part.

But, if you are not constrained by money or time and you want to get top quality stuff, ACDelco is a well known brand that has proven quality. Delphi is another...

ShawnN

Reaction score
This guy owns the store and works on vehicles among other things so I tend to trust him - but then I know he is motivated by selling! I'm sure either brand would do the job but I hoped experience with these particular trucks would help me choose the best. Anymore I'd rather spend the money on the best quality parts and hope they last longer and perform better.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got AC Delco cap, rotor, and plugs, and Napa/Belden plug wires on my 96 454. Runs like a champ.
I've heard tons of good things about BWD ignition components as well; it all comes from the same plants any how. It's just a matter of the brand's quality control.