Ac Delco (fluid) p/s pump/gear box/hydro booster.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I've decided to go ahead and replace all my hydraulic system connected to my leaking hydraulic brake booster. I've sourced reman ac Delco parts to replace everything. after I placed all the new parts out on the bench, I noticed that there was a red/pink fluid draining out of the power steering pump/reservoir as well as the steering gear box, which is different than then the AC Delco product I purchased, part number 10-5073, which is an Amber color.
My questions are:
What is this red fluid?
Do I need to flush out this red fluid?
What is the filling procedure for the hydraulic system?
What needs to be done to insure that my steering wheel ends up straight again?
Should I check anything on the reman ac Delco steering box before I install it?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is your current steering box bad? If not, don't replace it. I bought a rebuilt AC Delco box and it started getting sloppy after a few years.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yes you need to flush out the red fluid. More than likely some one used ATF in the PS system. You will need to center the steering gear by turning from full lock to full lock and divide by 2. Turn that number from either full lock and stop, the box should be centered, position the tire/wheels straight ahead and see if the linkage will line up