AC Compressor Pressure Switch Bypass(ed?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benvfr

Reaction score
Hey all. Had my ac repaired (a couple times now) and it's finally working great. I was starting to look at cleaning the engine bay and looking at what to cover up before washing and it looks like one of the ac mechanics has bypassed the compressor pressure switch by twisting together the plug wires. Is this something I can leave this way? Should I untwist the wires and see what happens?

1995 Silverado Z71

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this something I can leave this way? Should I untwist the wires and see what happens?
If you leave it bypassed, you won't have any over-pressure protection. If your system's pressure gets too high, especially on a hot day, you'll blow something up, like a hose or worse.

Try untwisting the wires and see what happens. If the AC stops working, you'll have to replace that switch, after you drain the system, hopefully you'll recover the refrigerant.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don’t we have a face palm emoji? Jeeziz that’s an irresponsible “repair”.

I’d find a different mechanic. You can do a/c yourself but you’ll need some special tools to do it properly.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess on a hot day heavy throttle, see what gives up, the weak link. A hose, condenser, rupture seals out of compressor.
1. A repair business selling this type work?
2. No overpressure protection.
3. " Is this okay.....?"
:3811797817_8d685371

benvfr

Reaction score
Ok. I finally got around to checking out what was what. I untwisted the pressure switch wires, taped them up and reattached the pressure switch plug. Started the truck and turned on the AC to NOT have the AC working. So, does that mean that I have a bad pressure switch and they just hotwired it so they wouldn't have to replace it? Jeez, I think its even included in a rebuild kit. Damn, gotta keep an eye on everything, these days.

benvfr

Reaction score
Cool. Can I replace that part easily? Or does the system need to be emptied then charged up again? Looks like the sensor is a clip ring install, not sure if there was a Schrader valve like on the low pressure side.