ABS module autobleed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Had to replace a rusted through rear brake line on my son's 2000 K3500, single rear wheels pickup. He didn't need the truck for about a year and was out of the country, but returning now and I need to get the brakes working. Never did bleed them. I'm sure I'll have air in the ABS module and was wondering if any of you guys knew of a preferably low price scan tool that will do the ABS autobleed? I've got an older OTC Genisys, but the update software kit to get the ABS functions is about $790. That dog won't hunt. Any advice or source for a cheaper scan tool would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to replace a rusted through rear brake line on my son's 2000 K3500, single rear wheels pickup. He didn't need the truck for about a year and was out of the country, but returning now and I need to get the brakes working. Never did bleed them. I'm sure I'll have air in the ABS module and was wondering if any of you guys knew of a preferably low price scan tool that will do the ABS autobleed? I've got an older OTC Genisys, but the update software kit to get the ABS functions is about $790. That dog won't hunt. Any advice or source for a cheaper scan tool would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Watch this, now I am not sure if this will work on 2000 , I bought this for my 98 and my vin code was not in it. However my 06 was in it. So I am not sure what all years is loaded in the scanner. $ 130.00 is what I payed for mine on ebay
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I don't think the ABS module would get air in it unless the ABS engaged with air in the lines. I've never bothered with it when opening the brake system. I just replaced part of the rear line a month or so ago.... was your sons rusted out right next to the gas tank by the fuel filler?

Some guys will do the "dirt road" method... they bleed the brakes and then go out on a dirt road and deliberately lock up the brakes to the ABS kicks in, and the re-bleed. I assume they probably have to do that a few times before the air is all out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can get a Chinese clone of a GM Tech 2 scan tool for about $350 or so last I checked, and I've heard good things about them as far as being functionally equivalent to the real deal.

EDIT - Yup, just checked DHGate and eBay, they're still about the same price as they were. Just search for GM Tech 2 and you'll come up with several listings in the $3-400 range. DHGate is a little cheaper but their payment methods are also a little sketchier IMO. In either case keep in mind they ship from China so you'll be waiting for a couple weeks for it to show up.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
You can get them on alliexpress for about $265 and if they free ship by DHL, you'll have it in 3 days.

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your time and help. 454cid, yes the line was rusted through in that exact location. There's a service bulletin for it from GM, but I don't have the number handy. I'll try the skid on a dirt road method if it doesn't purge. df2x4, delta_p, Those are probably fair prices for chinese Tech 2 clones, but this is a one time deal to need one. If the gravel skid doesn't purge it, I'll have to go that way, I think. My own truck is a '93 C2500 6.5 diesel. Last year of the mech. injection and my old Genisys does fine on it as it's only got a trans. cont. module. No eng. computer.

Reaction score
Forgot to mention oldblue: I had seen that video of the Autel scanner previously. Contacted the company with the trucks VIN and it won't do the autobleed on a 2000 3500.