ABS Light on after axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regal_Six

Reaction score
Just finished up swapping a a new rear axle and driveshaft into my 96 suburban 1500 and I have an ABS light still on. Light came on right when the rear and blew going down the road, but the brakes functioned normally. Now that everything's put back together, I've bled the brakes twice and made sure the master res was full but I still have the ABS light on. Brakes seem to all be working normally. I pulled the positive cable to reset everything yesterday but the light came right back on as soon as I started moving. Is there a wheel speed sensor anywhere other than the front wheels? Air in the ABS module itself maybe?

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just finished up swapping a a new rear axle and driveshaft into my 96 suburban 1500 and I have an ABS light still on. Light came on right when the rear and blew going down the road, but the brakes functioned normally. Now that everything's put back together, I've bled the brakes twice and made sure the master res was full but I still have the ABS light on. Brakes seem to all be working normally. I pulled the positive cable to reset everything yesterday but the light came right back on as soon as I started moving. Is there a wheel speed sensor anywhere other than the front wheels? Air in the ABS module itself maybe?
You may need to do a ABS bleed, if you don't have the scanner to do it with you may have to have it done. Did you try clearing code with a scanner/diagnostic reader. And there is the method of going down a gravel or dirt road and locking up brakes to activate the abs module and that may clear air !? Just some thoughts. How long did you have cable off for ? Code may still be in memory ? Just some thoughts

Regal_Six

Reaction score
I have a scanner but not one capable of clearing ABS codes, just CELs. I hooked my scanner up just to be sure and it didn't return any diagnostic codes. I might try the gravel method tonight and give it another quick system bleed when I get home. I took the cable of for about a minute and stood on the brakes to drain any power left in the system so it definitely went away and came back. The light is off when I start the vehicle, but comes on after I pass about 5mph. You're right though, probably have to take it in unfortunately.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a scanner but not one capable of clearing ABS codes, just CELs. I hooked my scanner up just to be sure and it didn't return any diagnostic codes. I might try the gravel method tonight and give it another quick system bleed when I get home. I took the cable of for about a minute and stood on the brakes to drain any power left in the system so it definitely went away and came back. The light is off when I start the vehicle, but comes on after I pass about 5mph. You're right though, probably have to take it in unfortunately.
Yeah a while back I bought a scanner that was supposed to do abs automatic bleed, it had later models in it that would do my 06 but did not go far enough back to do my 98 so after buying that I still had to take it in for the abs bleed think they charged 75.00 bucks. I may be wrong, but it seems like I thought cable unhook for 15-20 mins , if I am wrong someone chime in !?