ABS error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello , this is my first post.
I have a ABS light illuminated on the dash of the truck I bought not too long ago.
I have done the paper clip in the diagnostic port trick and saw the brake light glass short 6 times and longer 1 time. So that makes me wonder if that indicates error 61. That error seems to be a reset switch, if I am not mistaken.

Now, where can I find this reset switch? And how do I go about to remedy the error?

a list I found online :
*Code 21: right front speed sensor or circuit open
*Code 22: missing right front speed signal
*Code 23: erratic right front speed signal
*Code 25: left front speed sensor or circuit open
*Code 26: missing left front speed signal
*Code 27: erratic left front speed signal
*Code 29: simultaneous drop-out of front speed sensors
*Code 35: vehicle speed sensor or open circuit
*Code 36: missing vehicle speed sensor signal
*Code 37: erratic vehicle speed sensor signal
*Code 38: wheel speed
You must be registered for see images attach
error
*Codes 41 through 54: control valves

*Codes 61 through 63: reset switches
*Code 65 and 66: open or shorted pump motor
relay
*Code 67: open motor circuit or shorted BPMV output
*Code 68: locked motor or shorted motor circuit
*Codes 71 through 74: memory errors
*Code 81: brake
switch circuit shorted or open
*Code 86: shorted anti-lock indicator lamp

*Code 87: shorted brake warning lamp

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There'll be a diagnostic procedure in the service manual.

You didn't mention WHAT VEHICLE this is, but based on your user name, I'm guessing an '89 K2500.

Many folks (not me) will tell you to just disable the prehistoric Kelsey-Hayes Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) on these vehicles. The ABS system is disabled in 4WD anyway.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, sir. That is correct I have an 1989 k2500 4x4. I would prefer to keep the ABS working, just because. well it is installed.
Do you have a link to the service manual by any chance?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for this link . And thank you to the original poster of it. I'll be reading through it right away.

xot777

Reaction score
Hello, do you know anything about ABS codes? I have a 1993 Chevy G20 with the ABS light on . Right front tire is not rolling like it should. It was smoking the other day. I replaced the caliper and the pads. Lubed everything. Rolls better but still hangs up. Do you have any idea what may be the problem? I checked the codes with a paper clip. ABS light gave 12,12,12, 21,21,21

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of ENGINES and into Axles + Brakes.

Hello, do you know anything about ABS codes? I have a 1993 Chevy G20 with the ABS light on . Right front tire is not rolling like it should. It was smoking the other day. I replaced the caliper and the pads. Lubed everything. Rolls better but still hangs up. Do you have any idea what may be the problem? I checked the codes with a paper clip. ABS light gave 12,12,12, 21,21,21
Get a service manual for your vehicles. C/K manuals can be downloaded from links posted on this site. Kinda thinking that G is not available here, but they can be bought elsewhere--perhaps eBay.

Are the wheel bearings in good condition?

ABS codes don't show up when checking for engine codes. If your Code 21 is legitimate and not a reading error, it indicates an issue with the TPS.

Connect a scan tool, look for ABS codes, and ABS data stream. Verify the engine code(s) also.

When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed and the ABS bled with a scan tool?