About to replace the entire AC system, a few questions first.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a tip from an experience of mine - some shops don't know that on these trucks, the AC controller in the dash will shut down the system entirely if the compressor tries to kick on 10 times with low or no charge. This can be problematic when attempting to charge the system because you need the A/C on to do it! You can tell if it shutdown by a blinking A/C light on the controller when A/C is turned on.

In order to reset the system, either the battery or controller has to be disconnected. This will most likely need to be done several times during the charging procedure, unless the tech is smart and knows to turn off the A/C button every now and then to prevent a shutdown.

A popular mod which I did on my truck is to remove 1 wire from the A/C controller wiring harness - REMOVE, not cut, from the terminal. This will allow the compressor to cycle forever regardless of system pressure.

I would also test the 3 pressure switches, located on the condenser, compressor, and accumulator - upon removing the electrical connector from a switch at a time the compressor should not run at all.

Best of wishes!

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A man after my own heart. I have the complete system in new parts as well. Is that something you can take a picture of under the dash?

I've gone to a dozen different shops, and none can find the reason why my system discharges after 2 or 3 months. It's the most aggravating thing I have on my truck.

Forgot to mention: One of the A/C shops charged the system to 100 psi and left it overnight without losing a pound of pressure.

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've gone to a dozen different shops, and none can find the reason why my system discharges after 2 or 3 months. It's the most aggravating thing I have on my truck.
Having the same problem on my 92 C1500. I believe it to be faulty o-rings, or maybe when the prev owner converted to R134a he didn't change the compressor (it looks factory).

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be wary of a shop that fed me that line.

Look up Gay-Lussac's law.
That's way above my intelligence level, but it was air, not gas and I watched while they did it.

I left when they closed the shop, and was there the next morning when they opened so I saw the results first hand.

jdjonesdr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's way above my intelligence level, but it was air, not gas and I watched while they did it.

I left when they closed the shop, and was there the next morning when they opened so I saw the results first hand.

One of my buddies clarified a couple of things for me.

First, air is a gas (Duh) The pressure probably dropped a bit but at least it still had pressure.

I agree I didn't see exactly where it was when I left (only glanced at it) so hard (impossible) to say it was at the same place the next morning as it was the day before. It was still close IMO.

I just want the damn thing to stop losing gas every few weeks.

I'm going to change the hoses next and see what happens..

Last edited: