AAL vs 3/4t Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my 4+1's in the truck this morning, and I did put them on a shackle flip at the same time but minus everything else I did the 4+1's gave me a net 2" of lift over my old worn out 3+1's.
I just did the opposite today. I'm curious, did your 4/1s look like this? Mine had almost 2" more arc than the 3/1s - note the center bolt, looks hokey to me:anitoof:
You must be registered for see images attach

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the opposite today. I'm curious, did your 4/1s look like this? Mine had almost 2" more arc than the 3/1s - note the center bolt, looks hokey to me:anitoof:
You must be registered for see images attach

I got new aftermarket ones, but yeah that center bolt is wayyyy longer than mine. My overloads look a tad thicker too but it's hard to tell. My last leaf before the overloads is also long enough to reach that rectangle bracket thing.

I bet someone put AALs in there.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck for a test drive this evening, I took a lot of side roads and went over plenty of bumps and dips.

It's amazing what a difference there is! The rear end is definately firmer, but it's a very smooth kind of firm. Not at all harsh like my dad's 2500HD with the no-name cheapo shocks that kicks and bucks, or sloppy like mine was with the old worn out springs and shocks. Those Bilstiens are definately worth the extra over a no-name.

And those big 14b drums have some muscle to them. The pedal is still weak and spongy for now but when I stomp on it those drums let those rear tires know who's boss! Hopefully it will be more linear as they wear in, and once I put the new front calipers on I'll flush all the old fluid.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you doing about the 6 lug vs 8 lug difference?
To be fair, I don't think he stated one way or the other. I'm just assuming he nabbed a 6 lug.

You are actually both right. I got an 8 lug first and slapped some 6 lug shafts in it thinking it was that easy.

It's not. The 8 lug drums are 13" and much deeper than the 6 lug 11" drums. Even if I swapped everything else, the backing plate mount is too far back, and the drums don't reach.

Luckily when I did this I had just seen a 6 lug 2500 in the junkyard a few days before and was able to go get the 6 lug axle before anyone else nabbed it.

So now I have two parts axles, and belive me when I was doing the brakes it was nice to have something to reference and pull stuff from.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck for a test drive this evening, I took a lot of side roads and went over plenty of bumps and dips.

It's amazing what a difference there is! The rear end is definately firmer, but it's a very smooth kind of firm. Not at all harsh like my dad's 2500HD with the no-name cheapo shocks that kicks and bucks, or sloppy like mine was with the old worn out springs and shocks. Those Bilstiens are definately worth the extra over a no-name.

And those big 14b drums have some muscle to them. The pedal is still weak and spongy for now but when I stomp on it those drums let those rear tires know who's boss! Hopefully it will be more linear as they wear in, and once I put the new front calipers on I'll flush all the old fluid.

What gears did you get? Did it have the G80? I think the 14 bolt 6 lug had 3.73s and 4.10s. I'd be happy with 4.10s/G80.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like the only one that could be appropriately called a "heavy half" is the f44 then since its actually a "half-ton" with heavier components? If its a 2500 it should be a "heavy 3/4 ton" but I guess that doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

So the 1500 f44 is essentially a 1500hd before they badged them as such?

The LD2500 was a 1500 half ton truck but with the 14 bolt SF axle, the 2025# springs and 2500 drum brakes, plus it's own driveshaft (I think).