A small patch panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. As you well know, anything that you weld, needs to be clean shiney metal. Prep work, is everything. When I did my cab corner on my truck, I used a little thicker metal for the patch. I welded it in, then after welding, I grinded down the welds. Once done, I really didn't want to use Bondo so I actually used some JB Weld, as a filler. Yes, it took a lot longer to do, but I can still say, there isn't really any body filler on my truck. As for the back side, I keep saying I'm going to spray it from the other side, by removing some grommets, but I still haven't done it yet, and it's been well over a year. IMO, weld through primer, is a contaminate. Yes, I know, that's what it's for, but still in all. Sandblasted metal, welds the best, after a wipe down with alcohol, IMO. Also cleanin the welds as you go, is always good. A lot of our work here, we preheat, but we are dealing with much thicker metal here. Also, if you think that steel warps and pulls, try stainless. It pulls and distorts a lot more than steel does. I did this Hyd rod this morning. Preheated to 575° F. The rod is chrome, and eyelet is steel. The small weld is stainless I did last week. These welds, are free hand TIG with no pulse generator. Oh, and that is a bread wrapper next to my SST weld.
Yeah, weld thru is a contaminant. I'll generally prep and spray the stuff and go back with a spot weld bit and clean the weld site. It seems to help. O'll only use U-pol copper or Medallion brand primers.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that waviness is a direct result of to much heat. You have to weld as dot, move to the other end, and do the same. Repeat, repeat, repeat, but you have got to give it time to cool, and cool it your self with air, or a wet rag, or, and all of the above. The weld area has to be cool before you proceed to the next welded area. Also, you don't want to cool the area, when it's still red hot.
Yup. I'm too impatient. I did move from area to area and put a handful of tacks at a time. I should have taken a minute or two after each round of welding to let the whole thing cool. I was also too aggressive when dressing the welds down with the flap wheel.

Your welding would have gone much better if a wire wheel was used to prep the metal prior to welding. The same for the grounding clamp.
I did clean the edges with a wire wheel, but I probably should have cleaned further back. The grounding clamp was on bare metal, but I should have wire brushed it before hand. I just didn't think of it.

The other thing I had trouble with was the pieces didn't stay flush as I welded. At 1:40 in the video I find the bottom piece flexed outward from the top piece. This became a problem as I ground down the welds because I ended up grinding the metal too thin. When I welded up pinholes I had a few places that blew through and I chased thin metal for a minute.

But you don't learn from not trying. I appreciate the feedback.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. I don't see doing anything too large, my limitation at this point though is I only have 120 out to my garage. Planning to rewire it for 240, so maybe I'll wait until that's done.
Totally agree with Kenny. As home hobbyist the welder might sit in the corner for considerable time periods. You buy a cheap welder and pull it out of the corner a year later and it doesn't work then what? No support. Cheap welders usually have a lighter duty cycles say, 20%, meaning you can weld for 2 minutes out of every 10. Not much. You run it harder than that and you risk cooking the machine. Save your pennies and buy a better machine like a Miller 211. You can also find some deals on used or trade-ins at a welding supply shop. Buying from a welding shop might get you a break on a bottle, gas, and consumables and most they will meet an advertised price. Discounts on gas add up. shop price vs retail.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save your pennies and buy a better machine like a Miller 211.
Yup. That's what I have. I took on an overseas deployment with the goal of buying mine when I got back. That was nine years ago and I absolutely do not regret it. I did have a failure while it was still under warranty, but they told me where to take it here in town. The guy replaced a board in it and had it back to me in a couple days. I also upgraded to a 125cf cylinder and it was worth it - but you have to have good discipline about shutting the valve or it'll be expensive.

Mine doesn't sit long unused. I always have a project that requires some welding, and I've made some money doing side projects. You'll be surprised how many stupid projects you decide to build once you have a welder. Every project is more experience.

Seat mounts for WCJr with drawers underneath
Dropped transmission crossmember for WCJr
Exhaust system on WCJr
Transmission stand for rebuilding a 4L60
Engine run stand
Repaired and "armored up" the mowing deck on my John Deere L130 mower
Smoker from a filing cabinet
Rebuilt the smoke box on my old smoker
Stretched the frame on a 24v scooter to fit larger batteries and make it a 36v scooter
Three-wheeled 48v scooter from scratch
Furnace for casting aluminum from an old hot water tank
Two "grog bowls" for a combat dining-in
Black walnut crack3r (seriously, we haven't got this word fixed?)
Welded bracing for table legs for a friend's custom River Tables - paying gig
Fixed the rollcage on a friend's K24 swapped Miata
Fender flares and torque chain on my Jag
Tri-Y headers from just flanges and tubing for the 500 Cadillac in my Jag
Three firewood racks
Pellet rack for my fireplace
Forced air heat exchanger for my fireplace
...and more I can't remember.