a real puzzler --Universal wiper switch&pulse motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am chugging along here installing my SpeedWay universal wiring harness. I am trying to use a universal switch with 3 settings, high,low and park. Can I assume this switch doesn't "jive" with a pulse-intermittent wiper motor/ and a 3 setting switch? This is turning into a science experiment lol..
The only functioning combination I got to "work" was high speed and park. This was one of five circuit boards and one of 3 motor housings. I can change circuit boards and make the wiper do different things (yes I have soldered the connections) . I even bought a brand new pulse board and all I got was park.
The switch does function and sends signals to high and low..

I am thinking of just installing the "functioning combination" and eventually get a non-pulse unit. Perhaps then, I will have low-high- and park. In the service manual the wiring on a non-pulse is much simpler!

Can I also assume the pin wiring locations of high low etc didn't change ove the years? The motor unit I got today from the yard (a recently rebuilt one) and different colors going into it..

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The wire colors did indeed change but the pinout remains the same. High feeds the wiper motor directly. The low line combines ALL the other functions into one signal wire, controlled by varying resistance values in the switch body. Chances are, it won't operate properly using the aftermarket switch setup, so you're going to have essentially no choice but to get a no-pulse unit to install.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Thanks again Brandon, It makes sense now, why I only get high and park when using the universal switch. I will install the current operating one and keep a eye out for a non-pulse at the yard or eventually purchase one..
I guess to verify if a truck has intermittent or not look at the stalk control. I also found that pulse is inscribed on the back of board..By any chance does a non-pulse board work in a pulse housing?

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I know they're out there but I personally have never seen a pulseless system with my own eyes. My guess is you'll have much better luck looking into the 88-91 trucks for it tho, even better if it's a stripped work truck variety.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Yes, I guess the odds are pretty low finding one at the U-Pic yard. I phoned and I can get one locally (non-pulse Cardone# 40169) for $95 from Car Quest..

Last edited:

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I swapped in the non-intermittent unit and I have low and high but now park doesn't work..I saw the listing for this part (Rock AutoCardone 40169) and it says it
"with Gray Wire Connector;" perhaps I need this connector to make it work?
It is strange because park worked on the intermittent units

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I'm confused about this park position you keep mentioning.. When the unit is off, no power is supplied from the switch to the module normally.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey Brandon, the park function returns the wipers to position at the bottom of the windshield. When I turn off the wipers they seem to simply stop at any place. I will do some more investigating today

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I figured out a work around! In order for the wiper motor to park the orange wire and the low wire need to be connected. I used a button style switch to connect them...the video will explain

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media