A Proper Introduction instead of being a Lurker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Until you change the cam leave the rockers alone. Fancy rockers won't one bit with a stock setup.

When you add a supercharger it will extend your rpm range all by itself.

1965truckrod

Reaction score
Yeah I was looking into doing the stud conversion to use traditional roller rockers, but figured if I'm doing that, might as well do a full rebuild. Motor is still rock solid and it doesn't do much towing currently as it's my work truck for my Marine Engine Maintenance company. I work for a company called V.B Engineering (Vince Balch) the owner uses us in a contractor state to keep the taxes out of his hands. Pretty cool gig, I was using my little 10 Corolla for a while and had the trunk, back seat, and passenger seat full of the normal tool load I take with me.

I was reading in the other forum about the L29 base file is quite garbage and you'd likely see significant difference with a tune that cleans up all the maps. I would like to ditch my Smog pump and associated parts once I get the headers figured out. My truck is registered in a county that doesn't have smog so it is exempt from California Emissions thankfully. Only problem with that is the Mail-U-A-Tune companies won't ship to California. I might have to take a trip to Arizona to get it tuned assuming I can find a reputable shop.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I recommend getting everything the way you want it besides the engine first.
i also recommend getting 50 state (CARB) legal parts as much as possible.
The Peoples Republic of California seems to change their emission laws about 3 times a week.
I have had customers have to change their project around and re-buy the same part due to a change in the laws.
I just don't want you to buy the same part twice, or not get plates, or even get your truck confiscated and crushed and then you get fined for "Tampering":mad:
The Clean Air Act now has a $10,000 fine for each part removed or rendered inoperative of the emission control system on an emission controlled motor vehicle. and that's Federal. California is way worse.
Contrary to popular belief, 1999 emission stuff generally causes little to no power loss. Now 1975 emission controls on the other hand... :biggrin:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures, and nice engine! My intake is not corroded at all, so I've never been tempted to paint it. I'm actually going to be doing the opposite of what you did.... I've stripped a second set of valve covers and had them vapor blasted/honed and they are going to go on the truck plain. I've never used the wrinkled paint, but do like the look. I saw motorcycle parts a neighbor did a few years ago, and they looked fantastic.

I don't have a CA emissions engine so I don't have the SMOG pump. I believe you have different passenger side accessory bracket (casting) than I have. You may need the other casting to avoid having a belt length issue without the pump. Personally, I think I'd just leave the pump until it explodes.

Welcome to the forum.

1965truckrod

Reaction score
I was actually reading through the forums and was getting the same findings that the 99 emissions pumps don't really do much other than ugly up the engine bay, no real power loss especially if you're already going to be adding power. The Typhoon 2 Intake does have a Carb License, oddly so does the 80mm BBK throttle body I'd like to get eventually. My final destination if you will, will be Idaho or there abouts as my life style and beliefs are some what frowned upon here in CommieFornia. I'm a God Loving, Gun Toting Family man, plus it's stupidly expensive to live here and our money would be much more well spent in another state that doesn't have everyone in the capital trying to steal money from you to give to illegals.

1965truckrod

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures, and nice engine! My intake is not corroded at all, so I've never been tempted to paint it. I'm actually going to be doing the opposite of what you did.... I've stripped a second set of valve covers and had them vapor blasted/honed and they are going to go on the truck plain. I've never used the wrinkled paint, but do like the look. I saw motorcycle parts a neighbor did a few years ago, and they looked fantastic.

I don't have a CA emissions engine so I don't have the SMOG pump. I believe you have different passenger side accessory bracket (casting) than I have. You may need the other casting to avoid having a belt length issue without the pump. Personally, I think I'd just leave the pump until it explodes.

Welcome to the forum.
I remember when I was a kid seeing Dodge and Plymouth hot rods with wrinkle finish manifolds and valve covers. I always found that design very appealing. As such any engine that I have worked on that belongs to me, in some form or another it has a wrinkle finish to it. Unfortunately the intake manifold had a visitor living on it for a bit and scratched up the wrinkle down to almost a smooth finish, I'll probably tape it off and do a re-spray after sanding down the imperfections. The intake actually isn't that difficult to remove, but I don't feel like replacing the gasket again. I think when I do the big rebuild, I'll have the Aluminum parts all powder coated and professionally wrinkle finished.

I just ordered an all aluminum radiator from Champion Radiators, I'll be the Guinea pig of this forum to see if they hold up. It's a 3 row and ditches the clutch fan for a pair of high volume 16" fans with a custom aluminum shroud and wiring (Relays, etc.)... (Side story) (short I promise... had reluctor ring issue way back and damaged current radiator with my electric impact removing the crank bolt. I had to remove it about 5 times in total.)

I had a rather good few months working and had a nice little chunk to do a few upgrades which includes the radiator, dual battery harness and a pair of AGM batteries. I am going to see if I can get away with removing the secondary resonators on the exhaust so I can shorten it up to drop before the rear axle. I already have newer tubing and the Flowmaster 60 series is a bit quiet compared to a 2 chamber, but the resonators aren't helping either. I'm headed over to a well known shop called Ed Hansons to see what we can do about helping her breathe a bit better (Without modifying emissions) besides going long tube. Just by the design I can see how restrictive the Intake plumbing was and I'm sure I'll be hearing a Narly growl from the intake manifold when I give her a solid foot in the ass.

I look forward to learning even more about these wonderful vehicles, and hopefully I'll have some insight when it comes to the engineering and electronics of automotive world. I have worked on just about every type of engine made including Jet engines (11 Years US Naval Aviation).

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid seeing Dodge and Plymouth hot rods with wrinkle finish manifolds and valve covers. I always found that design very appealing. As such any engine that I have worked on that belongs to me, in some form or another it has a wrinkle finish to it.

I'm going to have to pick some of that up and use it on something/anything to get some experience with it. One of the things stopping me from using it, is being afraid I'll mess it up on something I really want to turn out well.

1965truckrod

Reaction score
I'm going to have to pick some of that up and use it on something/anything to get some experience with it. One of the things stopping me from using it, is being afraid I'll mess it up on something I really want to turn out well.
My suggestion would be to read about the temperature in which it should be sprayed at and what temp is good for allowing the curing process to work. Usually a warmer day with sunlight. There are several writeups that I've found, or depending on who makes the paint, they'll have specific directions on their sites.