A little side project.... trash can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Made and glued a gasket in the lid. I used 1/4" clear vinyl hose and glued it in so it wouldn't fall out of the groove in the lid. I was going to use the contact cement that I used on the foam pads on my gas tank, but it said that it won't stick to some vinyls. Instead I used some old Weldbond that I found on my shelf. I don't use glue very often. I hate the stuff. It's dry, or doesn't want to come out of the tube the next time I want to use it.

Earlier, I put a bag in the can and started throwing stuff away. Every time I went out to the garage, I'd see things waiting on my trash can. The bag is a liitle short for the can, but I found a rubberband type thing for holding trash bags in place.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Done for now. I'm going to wait on a handle in hope I run across something I like better than what I already have.

The lid looks a little shiny to me, but its the same clear coat I used on the barrel itself. I'm sure some dust will tone it down.

I know this was a dead simple project, but this barrel is a family garage heirloom, lol. Now, I just need to figure out where in the garage I want to put it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done for now. I'm going to wait on a handle in hope I run across something I like better than what I already have.

The lid looks a little shiny to me, but its the same clear coat I used on the barrel itself. I'm sure some dust will tone it down.

I know this was a dead simple project, but this barrel is a family garage heirloom, lol. Now, I just need to figure out where in the garage I want to put it.

Cleaned up & clearcoated that looks good! And since it's clean you will never brush against it
while heading out for a night on the town in your finery. (That's the way it always worked with
me...wearing a suit = guaranteed accidental rub against the dirty trash can. Cleaned it up, and I
never got close to it again...even if it was sitting in the same spot?)

It's perfectly OK to fill your work space with some senseless beauty like that. :waytogo:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Cleaned up & clearcoated that looks good! And since it's clean you will never brush against it
while heading out for a night on the town in your finery. (That's the way it always worked with
me...wearing a suit = guaranteed accidental rub against the dirty trash can. Cleaned it up, and I
never got close to it again...even if it was sitting in the same spot?)

With me, it's not a suite, but my good jeans. I walk out to the garage to do something that shouldn't get me dirty, and I brush up against the greasy TH400 sitting on a furniture dolly. It's really caked with dirt and oil. It needs a better place, and too be cleaned. I'll probably have to scrape off the thick stuff with a putty knife.

It's perfectly OK to fill your work space with some senseless beauty like that. :waytogo:

Thanks, I'm happy with it. It also has a smaller footprint than the galvanized can that I have been using, so I do end up with more floor space, too.