a couple questions; 1992 split bench & carpet/mats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
(part 3/3 for today's "update")

This is the post today that may insight laughter at my expense;

In addition to finally changing out the NFG washer nozzels, the last thing I took care of this weekend was, well, a bit of McGuyver-ism

My air conditioning has no discernible pressure;
I do not intend to remove the air conditioning, rather, I will get around to buying a new/replacement compressor, change all the seals, then pressure test before recharging.
Until I get to that point, I have just driven with my "supercharger whine" (the noise from my compressor) - something that I know can be a ticking time bomb, which could leave me stuck on the side of the road.

I came across an A/C delete pulley in the scrapyard, and decided to install it;
I left the a/c system in tact, hung it out of the way, and created a jumper for the compressor so that the ECM can still see it's there.
I didn't want to disconnect it, becasue I know that this would send a SES code, and I also didn't want to chance introducing contaminants to the air conditioning system.

For now (I don't drive the truck much right now) I have some metal zip ties holding it, but I'll add some light duty chain to better secure it to the air cleaner silencer bracket till I fix this properly.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am sure it's sufficiently far from the battery, and don't believe that it could even reach the positive cable - but I will look for a proper (period) red cap for the positive post as added insurance.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I don't think disconnecting the compressor would throw a code... In fact, on the TBI trucks, the ECM has absolutely no connection to the compressor. Or any of the A/C system for that matter. All it gets is an input from the control head saying "hey ECM, the A/C is switched on".

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think disconnecting the compressor would throw a code... In fact, on the TBI trucks, the ECM has absolutely no connection to the compressor. Or any of the A/C system for that matter. All it gets is an input from the control head saying "hey ECM, the A/C is switched on".

Oh?

Really?

I have a 1991 Grand Am that I did a complete A/C delete on;
With that car, I had to fiddle with the ECM plug so that it wasn't looking for the pressure sensor.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Completely different setup lol. The GMT400 is not so fancy. Even the later GMT400 trucks that do have their compressors activated by PCM control won't throw a code if anything is disconnected from the A/C system...It just won't work.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently received from ACC four carpet samples, in both cutpile and their essex material in the red colours offered;
The #4305 'Oxblood' colour was indeed a perfect match to my carpet and floor mats.

I pulled the trigger on a carpet AND floor mat order, and am going to hope for the best.

I will post later a picture showing the samples against my carpet, and will also post my impression/review of their stuff after I receive it.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my reply in the other thread I created - the thread I actually intended to update with much of what I recently posted in this thread - more or less by mistake.