A/C intermittent problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 89 has had a 134 conversion about 4 yrs ago, all was working well.
Lately it will occasionally stop blowing cold air. It is not bowing ambient but noticeably warmer air than normal. It happens sitting or driving, it might be OK for two hours one day or act up 3 times in a 15 minute drive the next.
I have checked the diverter doors, connections and ground at compressor and the pressure switch on the drier.
I recently discovered that slipping into neutral and revving the engine a few times cures it. I hear no squeeling and see no evidence of belt slippage.
What would cause this?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would cause this?
I had pretty much the same issue with my 88. It turned out to be low voltage at the compressor clutch, I was getting ~11.7 Volts. After wring in a relay to get full battery voltage (14+ V), it worked a lot better.

I would also check your air gap on the clutch, it s/b ~0.020" - 0.030". I had a new one from NAPA come with ~0.080" and promptly, within a week, smoked it. I took a bad compressor that had a good clutch and swapped it to the smoked one and have been rockin' it for a couple years now.

Here's a thread I started about swapping the clutch but also has where I wired in the relay and the high pressure cutout switch which my truck never had. Go to page 3, post #22 for the schematic, notations in blue are the upgrades I did.

This may not be your issue but, maybe worth checking into?

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot about the clutch air gap, I quit doing AC work when these trucks were new. I have changed clutches before, I think I still have the tools. I did not see any slippage.
I am pretty sure I checked voltage at the clutch last year, I remember also checking the ground since I have seen grounds check fine then get worse with heat.
We just drove over 100 miles and the AC acted up, when I got home I saw the clutch was disengaged, I revved the engine and clutch engaged.
I'll check gap and recheck voltages tomorrow or Sat.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the hvac doors operate by vacuum on those trucks?