Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeputyPelican

Reaction score
Did you put gauges on it? Or just the can that has the gauge on it? Also I think compressor have it on the top or stickers on the side I'll have to look at mine
I put just the gauge from the refill can on it. Had the truck running /w/ air at full blast & on circulation while I checked. That's why I thought it could be the expansion valve since it's sounding and acting like it's low on freon from my past experience with the truck.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did look at it, and they look fine, but take that with a grain of salt since my mechanical knowledge is fairly limited, lol. I've only been learning mechanical work as I go with this truck and the SEVERAL mechanical issues I've had on the patrol cars I've used in my career.
Long as it doesn't have a blanket of dust/ dirt debris you should be fine.it doesn't explain driving heat issues, but it will give you a false reading when charging. Lot of people also dont take about the blower under the dash and clean the evap coil. Depending where you like they love to attract bugs, dirt, leaves whatever. Same concept. False reading not necessarily the issue you have while driving

DeputyPelican

Reaction score
Long as it doesn't have a blanket of dust/ dirt debris you should be fine.it doesn't explain driving heat issues, but it will give you a false reading when charging. Lot of people also dont take about the blower under the dash and clean the evap coil. Depending where you like they love to attract bugs, dirt, leaves whatever. Same concept. False reading not necessarily the issue you have while driving
To my knowledge it's never been pulled out and cleaned. Would that being clogged cause the issues I'm having? If that's all it is my wallet and I would be very relieved.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put just the gauge from the refill can on it. Had the truck running /w/ air at full blast & on circulation while I checked. That's why I thought it could be the expansion valve since it's sounding and acting like it's low on freon from my past experience with the truck.
If you can put real gauges on it . There more accurate and can maybe narrow down the issue. For example I recharged my suburban and when it's hot and idling there not a lot of airflow sucking through the condenser. The gauges showed the high side getting higher in pressure once I drive around and move air you can see the levels balance out better. But it's just the way mechanical fans are. Also you can see what's the compressor doing. Fast cycles are low on freon. Longers cycles are better

DeputyPelican

Reaction score
If you can put real gauges on it . There more accurate and can maybe narrow down the issue. For example I recharged my suburban and when it's hot and idling there not a lot of airflow sucking through the condenser. The gauges showed the high side getting higher in pressure once I drive around and move air you can see the levels balance out better. But it's just the way mechanical fans are. Also you can see what's the compressor doing. Fast cycles are low on freon. Longers cycles are better
Gotcha, thanks for all the help. I'll get a hold of some actual gauges and see where to go from there.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To my knowledge it's never been pulled out and cleaned. Would that being clogged cause the issues I'm having? If that's all it is my wallet and I would be very relieved.
No not necessarily. Driving highways should be cooler then idling. Because your moving your forcing air through it and it would be cooler . What I was thinking is if you put gauges on it and your stuff is beat up or has crud in it then it would show higher reading of the high side on the guages

DeputyPelican

Reaction score
No not necessarily. Driving highways should be cooler then idling. Because your moving your forcing air through it and it would be cooler . What I was thinking is if you put gauges on it and your stuff is beat up or has crud in it then it would show higher reading of the high side on the guages
Oh I see, that's a damn good possibility of what it is then. The gauge I used did show the level to be in the low side of the "green area" of the pressure. After just looking the reviews for the product (A/C PRO brand) some people are complaining about the gauges being off. I'll hook up some real gauges and see what it shows.