A/C electrical issues from hell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2jz_mickey

Reaction score
Alright, after checking for shorts again, and looking over the diagram, I found that the wire colors didn't match up for the cycling switch mounted on the accumulator. In the diagram it is a grounded circuit and in the truck it is a powered circuit.

I checked the amperage coming from the light green wire, 5.68mA, which is plenty to operate a small circuit.

The idea popped off in my head to jumper the cycling switch because the switch failed a continuity test, and voila, clutch operation.

So now I'm waiting to pick up a new cycling switch to confirm that it is the fault, and complete this nightmare of a project!

Thank you for all of the help @1998_K1500_Sub ! and for the wonderful experience joining the forum!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked the amperage coming from the light green wire, 5.68mA, which is plenty to operate a small circuit.

How did you do this?

The idea popped off in my head to jumper the cycling switch because the switch failed a continuity test, and voila, clutch operation.

If the cycling switch is "the problem" then why did it work properly when when you "apply power to the dark green wire on the high pressure switch (back of compressor) the ac compressor kicks on and cycles".

You said it cycles, right? So the cycling switch seems to be working.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A stupid question - how much pressure do you have in the system? Did you put manifold gauges on it to check?

2jz_mickey

Reaction score
@1998_K1500_Sub I guess it quit working somewhere is the trouble shooting process but I replaced the switch, and the clutch engaged and worked as normal. As far as the ammeter test I’m installed my multimeter in-line with a jumper and read the output (truck running of course). What I don’t understand is why I was able to bypass the system from the entire system from the high pressure switch

@PlayingWithTBI the pressures were set to 35/150 dynamic and about 90 total static

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it quit working somewhere is the trouble shooting process but I replaced the switch, and the clutch engaged and worked as normal.

Doesn't this strike you as odd? The switch was working before, you said. The evidence you provided seemed to point strongly, if not conclusively, to the HVAC Control Panel.

As far as the ammeter test I’m installed my multimeter in-line with a jumper and read the output (truck running of course).

So that was the current in that LT GRN wire, between the HVAC Control Panel and the HP cutout switch, yes? Just confirming my understanding.

2jz_mickey

Reaction score
Doesn't this strike you as odd? The switch was working before, you said. The evidence you provided seemed to point strongly, if not conclusively, to the HVAC Control Panel.

So that was the current in that LT GRN wire, between the HVAC Control Panel and the HP cutout switch, yes? Just confirming my understanding.
Yea it seems extremely odd, but I think I need to find the appropriate wiring diagram for my truck as I found several discrepancies.

And yea the lt grn wired at the HP switch side