A/C Condensate Line Discharge...Where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
I have a "88 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE and I'm getting condensate leaking on the passenger side floor. I know the discharge line is more than likely plugged but where does it exit the cab? Online it shows a 90 degree rubber ell coming out under the accumulator or near the heater core lines but I don't see it, feel it, etc. I completely rebuilt the A/C system about 3 months ago...everything!

I have the complete shop manuals but they don't show the condensate line exiting the body. Any ideas or pictures would be great! Than!ks in advance

Drumsdaddy

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a "88 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE and I'm getting condensate leaking on the passenger side floor. I know the discharge line is more than likely plugged but where does it exit the cab? Online it shows a 90 degree rubber ell coming out under the accumulator or near the heater core lines but I don't see it, feel it, etc. I completely rebuilt the A/C system about 3 months ago...everything!

I have the complete shop manuals but they don't show the condensate line exiting the body. Any ideas or pictures would be great! Than!ks in advance

Drumsdaddy

It is cleverly and brilliantly hidden directly BELOW the A/C accumulator exiting the firewall. Should be in the form of a rubber elbow sticking out.

And yes, they do plug up. A flexible rod helps to knock the debris out and unplug it.

Last edited:

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
I appreciate the info! I'll do a mirror magic trick and see what I find.

Again, much thanks!

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most I have worked on are missing the elbow. I'm sure rotted off and never replaced. So may have to look for just a black tube sticking out that the elbow would attach to.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
...and some (not all) have found that without the rubber elbow, wind pushes the water back into the cab; I'm sure it has a lot to do with the condition of the seal between the HVAC box and the firewall.

OP - look at where your heater core hoses pass through the firewall. Immediately next to them you'll either see the rubber boot, or a small black plastic nipple where it used to attach. That's your A/C drain.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did at one point pull the rubber duck-bill off the firewall of my '88 K1500. Just making sure is wasn't plugging. It was fine, and quickly reinstalled.

The duckbill on my '98 Monte Carlo was full of crap and failed to drain. Left-hand corners would result in fog and mist being blown out the A/C vents by the HVAC blower motor. The condensation would flow to the right side of the blower case, where the fan would pick it up and disburse it out the vents.

By the time I fixed the problem, the water in the heater-A/C box had rotted the connections on the blower motor resistor pack. Had to also replace the resistor pack and the molded harness connector.

In all, I drained well over a quart of condensation onto the ground when I cleaned-out the duckbill and the nipple the duckbill slides over.

You must be registered for see images attach

Never could get the connector to release from the blower resistor pack--rusted solid. Replaced 'em both with Treasure-Yard parts, spliced the wiring to make it all work.

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
Most I have worked on are missing the elbow. I'm sure rotted off and never replaced. So may have to look for just a black tube sticking out that the elbow would attach to.
More than likely you're right. I'll look for that black tube.

Thanks!

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
...and some (not all) have found that without the rubber elbow, wind pushes the water back into the cab; I'm sure it has a lot to do with the condition of the seal between the HVAC box and the firewall.

OP - look at where your heater core hoses pass through the firewall. Immediately next to them you'll either see the rubber boot, or a small black plastic nipple where it used to attach. That's your A/C drain.

Richard
Thanks Richard!

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
I did at one point pull the rubber duck-bill off the firewall of my '88 K1500. Just making sure is wasn't plugging. It was fine, and quickly reinstalled.

The duckbill on my '98 Monte Carlo was full of crap and failed to drain. Left-hand corners would result in fog and mist being blown out the A/C vents by the HVAC blower motor. The condensation would flow to the right side of the blower case, where the fan would pick it up and disburse it out the vents.

By the time I fixed the problem, the water in the heater-A/C box had rotted the connections on the blower motor resistor pack. Had to also replace the resistor pack and the molded harness connector.

In all, I drained well over a quart of condensation onto the ground when I cleaned-out the duckbill and the nipple the duckbill slides over.

Never could get the connector to release from the blower resistor pack--rusted solid. Replaced 'em both with Treasure-Yard parts, spliced the wiring to make it all work.
Thanks for the photos and info! Looked up a new boot for the '88 and haven't found it yet.