A/C compressor not cycling on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Living in the Calif. central valley, ahh freezing winters and 100° plus summers. When it hits over 95° every day for a week or two, window down at highway speed...."why didn't I change that XXXX compressor.." Been there done that.
Especially when it’s raining.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good recommendations guys. Like I said in the first post, the system was rebuilt 4 years ago, with condenser, compressor and orifice. I don’t believe the accumulator was changed though. The compressor didn’t grenade, it was the condenser that leaked. Could I get by with just a compressor? I know it’s hard to say, but now I’m nervous! Do I need a flush?
Kits that I’ve bought required you to replace the accumulator , orifice tube, & show proof you flushed the system (receipt for flush) for the warranty.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good recommendations guys. Like I said in the first post, the system was rebuilt 4 years ago, with condenser, compressor and orifice. I don’t believe the accumulator was changed though. The compressor didn’t grenade, it was the condenser that leaked. Could I get by with just a compressor? I know it’s hard to say, but now I’m nervous! Do I need a flush?

The accumulator was almost certainly changed.

In my limited experience the fittings that are most troublesome are those exposed to weather / road salt. From what you've said, the only fitting that might not have been opened since new is the one at the bottom of the evaporator, which mates to a tube which in turn (AFAIK) mate withe the orifice tube fitting. That connection at the bottom of the evap was a tricky one to reach, at least for me, because of other stuff in the way, but on my 1998 that fitting wasn't seized even after 18yrs and came apart using open-end wrenches. What I'm trying to say is I think your odds are good of getting the all fittings loose, given the recent history of the AC system. Just be prepared to reach for the flare nut wrenches if the aluminum fittings being to yield to an open end wrench.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flare nut tools--wrenches and/or crowfeet--are not merely recommended, they're essential. The tubing and the tube nuts are aluminum. Easily distorted, once distorted, ruined. And yes, the aluminum nuts sometimes corrode and seize to the aluminum tubes. It "can" be nasty.

The orifice tube is sometimes so packed with debris that it's essentially seized to the aluminum tube. There was a time--and maybe still is--where the aftermarket sold a repair kit that included a new orifice tube inside a "repair section" of aluminum tubing that would splice in place of the original tube. With luck, yours has no debris, so it'll pop right out.

I note that my '03 Trailblazer uses a different style of connector for the aluminum tubes; and fancier O-rings (that have metal reinforcements) which makes all of this enormously easier/better.
Yeah-just got me a set of imperial crow foot. Not expensive one-US Pro they're called, for 1/2 drive. Very handy-bought em for cooling lines and so far they proven essential(1 job done so far, so I already saved time and money)-what's not to like when you have 5 points of contact instead of 2.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O-ring kit from "ACDelco", others are similar.

NAPA has a nice selection of AC O-rings and valves in some trays they keep behind the counter. If you have something odd you need to replace, stop by and show them what you need; they may be able to find you a replacement part from their stash.x
X2-that's what I bought for my sytem overhaul.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is not cycling on it will reset computer bad wire picks up interference on the mode switch cause’s high Freon switch to cut off power to compressor the wire is the green one cut and tape up per Chevrolet instructions look it up
Well, on post #10 the OP said the black light showed Freon all over. It's pretty hard to fix a leak by disconnecting the battery. I guess a set of manifold gauges would help verify this. :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is not cycling on it will reset computer bad wire picks up interference on the mode switch cause’s high Freon switch to cut off power to compressor the wire is the green one cut and tape up per Chevrolet instructions look it up
1. Around here, punctuation and sentence structure are taught by fifth grade.
2. How can any of that help, when the guy says everything including the compressor works when he bypasses the low-pressure switch, AND his compressor leaks refrigerant?

Reaction score
1. Around here, punctuation and sentence structure are taught by fifth grade.
2. How can any of that help, when the guy says everything including the compressor works when he bypasses the low-pressure switch, AND his compressor leaks refrigerant?
If you are taking to Mr Bloodworth I am 58 and working on ged also disabled why can’t we just be nice to one in other bless your day