A/C Compressor Lost all of it's oil last night.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig

Reaction score
So unfortunately, my a/c system that I had completely rebuilt a few months back failed last night.

The one night I had to park it outside, I came back out and found a puddle of trans green oil under it. Opened the hood and the compressor let out pretty much all of it's oil.

It seems so unusual considering it didn't lose any oil from any of the fittings. It looks like it's coming right from the bottom of the compressor.

I'm guessing it's shot and my truck is on compressor #5 in ~ 3 years. I swear it's cursed.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. 3 days ago, i flipped the a/c on to test it and no compressor noise. Pulled out the UV light and there is a stream of fluorescent coming from the bottom of the compressor all the way to the floor. I've also gone through 4 compressors in the couple years. Tried 4 seasons and Delco. I flush, replace dryer, even went through 3 new condensers as i wasn't sure i was flushing all the debris out. I suppose the evaporator could be clogged with debris, but it flushes just fine. I really dont want to take apart the dash to replace it. Off to RockAuto for a warranty return.

Craig

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not sure where the leak is. It looks like there's a faint residue at the plug but I'm also thinking that might be left over and the casings actually separated because it's so heavy elsewhere. All of the oil dumped out of it overnight.
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your high pressure shutoff isn't connected/working, did you change the orifice too?

Craig

Reaction score
Sounds like your high pressure shutoff isn't connected/working, did you change the orifice too?

Everything was changed out including orifice tube.

Here's a bit more backstory.

I have a heated shop I usually keep the truck in. I needed the stall I usually park in to help on my sister's vehicle. I started my truck, let it run for a little under 10 minutes to warm up and then parked it outside.

I noticed the battery was a bit low (11 volt) and figured I'd put the trickle charger on it the next day. It was going to be a cold night (-30c / -22f) and I didn't want the battery to get down too low in those temps. I have a battery cut-off switch on the terminal. Just in case, I turned it off until I could get it in the next day to charge it.

Could I have caused this by cutting off power to the system?

guyopel

Reaction score
Everything was changed out including orifice tube.

Here's a bit more backstory.

I have a heated shop I usually keep the truck in. I needed the stall I usually park in to help on my sister's vehicle. I started my truck, let it run for a little under 10 minutes to warm up and then parked it outside.

I noticed the battery was a bit low (11 volt) and figured I'd put the trickle charger on it the next day. It was going to be a cold night (-30c / -22f) and I didn't want the battery to get down too low in those temps. I have a battery cut-off switch on the terminal. Just in case, I turned it off until I could get it in the next day to charge it.

Could I have caused this by cutting off power to the system?
This is not anything you did or did not do. This style compressor had a high failure rate of the housing o-ring seals (located at the outer metal housing to the aluminum body).
You will need to replace the compressor .HTH

Craig

Reaction score
This is not anything you did or did not do. This style compressor had a high failure rate of the housing o-ring seals (located at the outer metal housing to the aluminum body).
You will need to replace the compressor .HTH

Guess I'm just getting unlucky with these. My truck seems to require a new compressor every few months.

At least the compressor itself is under warranty.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too had this problem just over a year ago. Finally the 3rd replacement was a charm :banana-mario: Went thru 2 complete set-ups as both prior compressors leaked from the housing as guyopel stated.

A buddy of mine who owns his own mechanics shop also told me that over tightening the compressor bracket bolts can shift the housing causing the leaks. I don't believe that was my cause, but for what it's worth ;)

Get the life time warranty since this is common.