A/C Compressor blowing 30 amp maxi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 97 K1500 5.7L that I inherited. Finally got around to charging the a/c. After charging, I started it up and ran the compressor (a/c on) and after about 6 minutes, the 30 amp AUX B **** fuse popped and truck shut off. Replaced fuse and restarted the truck. Paying close attention to the fuse now, while compressor is running, the fuse gets so hot you can barely keep a finger on it. Compressor off, fuse cools down. Eventually after a few minutes, the fuse popped again. Why is a fuse meant for accessories popping when the compressor is running? Is this a ground issue? Can compressor drawing too much current cause this?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any wiring attached to either of the two studs directly next to those aux fuses? It sounds like someone has possibly wired around the regular power supply to your A/C. Normally there would be nothing attached to those studs powered by those fuses unless someone added accessories, as you've noted.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Grab a service manual, trace the wiring schematic for the compressor.

I have no idea what an AUX B **** fuse is.
Vortec-era trucks have those two auxiliary power points at the convenience center, circuits protected by a 30A ****-fuse each. Should have nothing to do with the A/C unless someone's been hacking.. LOL it's censoring the word "m a x i"

Richard

Reaction score
Is there any wiring attached to either of the two studs directly next to those aux fuses? It sounds like someone has possibly wired around the regular power supply to your A/C. Normally there would be nothing attached to those studs powered by those fuses unless someone added accessories, as you've noted.

Richard
Yes, the positive cable from the battery is on this stud.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the positive cable from the battery is on this stud.
That cable is factory and necessary to power the components that operate off the "power center" (I don't know if that's the correct name for it, but that's what I've always called it).

Sounds like the compressor is bad and that's probably why there was no Freon left in it from not being operated for a long time.

With the compressor on feel the wires at the two connectors to the compressor and see if any of them are getting hot.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find a wiring diagram for the circuit. No luck. The Chiltons manual I bought was of no help.
Chiltons manuals (and Haynes, and Clymers, and most other aftermarket "consumer-grade" manuals) make for excellent emergency toilet paper.

Download the REAL manuals from this web site.