A 2000 Tahoe Z71 with a Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derelict

Reaction score
Hey all, it is story time! A neighbor has a very clean, inside and out, Z71. Totally stock. I have wanted to offer to buy it for years but never went through with the offer. The owner passed away a few years ago and the wife does nothing more than move it from street to driveway every other week or so. I decided to inquire and was met with decent timing. She just took it to get its safety inspection and it failed. The frame where the lower control arms mounts is rotten as is one of the mount points for one of the rear leaf springs. She will give it to me because of this. The truck runs and drives very well. The interior is clean and so is the sheetmetal. I have read that frames do have a habit of rusting from the inside out on these. I am of the opinion that I can get someone to cut and weld in new sections of frame and still be on the upside, value wise. I know that if it gets donated, they will find the frame issues and then give it to some auction where it will probably get junked.

There are a few members here who have posted up some cracked/ rusted frames. Are there any spots where this is extremely common (like the old square body steering box mount area)? I am going to crawl all over it in a couple of days but if I had an idea of where to go first, that would be great. I have a GMT400 Tahoe for some time now so I am 99% positive it will come home with me and then to a shop I know to do the repairs.

Thanks!

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I'd jump on it but that's my automotive hoardin voice talkin. And if frames too far gone u still have 2 other options, part out n make a decent bit or frame swap. I've done a frame swap, 96 caprice, and it's not horrible but a lift comes in handy. I did it with cherry picker and Jack stands by myself. Disconnect everything from body, roll bad frame out, put all the driveline/pieces on new frame, roll it back under, plus you can then make sure it's perfectly square as I've seen guys take their caprice/impalas off the frame just to make it all line up better than factory. And honestly I'd rather do a frame swap than deal with parting a vehicle out.