99 vortec 454 random hard start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hmm ill check the pressure again tomorrow without the bleeder. Ill try having the ICM checked. Could fuel leaking into the intake cause it to backfire and stall the starter out?

I don't really know, but it sounds plausible... apparently my hard starting was 1/2 fuel pump, so I don't know what happens when the injectors get really bad.

Bowtie89

Reaction score
I don't really know, but it sounds plausible... apparently my hard starting was 1/2 fuel pump, so I don't know what happens when the injectors get really bad.
Its had the hard start issue for a couple years. The backfire, stalling out the starter, and running rough for a minute just started.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As in checking the rotor or the valves? My next step is to check the cap and rotor and see if they are cracked or something. Yeah its strange that it does it after sitting for a while. Also that its intermittent, some days it won't do it at all. It has the leaky injector symptoms, takes 5 seconds of cranking after its been driven and sits for 20+ minutes. Its done that for a while, its a shame I didnt have the cash to do the injectors when I did the gaskets.

I meant the cmp retard but that should throw a code and I really don't think it would cause a backfire. It would probably be worth inspecting all the ignition components.

Bowtie89

Reaction score
I meant the cmp retard but that should throw a code and I really don't think it would cause a backfire. It would probably be worth inspecting all the ignition components.
The shop that did my fuel pump also did the cmp retard. I'll have to check the cap and rotor and the ICM later today