99 Tahoe - "Mule"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasMaq

Reaction score
Year: 1999
Model: Tahoe
Sub-model: Utility (2 door)
Trim: LS
Color: Pearl Black with Grey Int
Options: AG9, AJ1, AM7, AU0, AU3, AXP, A31, A95, B32, B33, B71, B85, C49, C5P, C60, DF5, DK6, D48, D55, EVA, FE9, FF4, FF5, GT4, G80, JB5, KNP, K34, K47, K60, L31, MSL, M30, NA1, NF2, NP5, NP8, NY1, NZZ, N33, PF4, QBN, R7V, R9U, SLM, UP0, UQ3, VK3, VR4, VXS, V22, V54, V73, XBN, X88, YBN, YD3, YD6, YE9, ZBN, ZQ3, ZW9, ZY1, Z71, Z82, 1SB, 1SZ, 13D, 13I, 41U, 6GC, 7GC
Purchased condition: 90% original! Has all the interior pieces including the tire mount with the original spare tire that came from the factory. A/C even works, though I think it needs new seals.
***Expect for***
-It had some 16x10.5 wheels with ATs that shock your nutz off while driving on even the smoothest of roads. Replaced them with some stock 2014 sierra 18" and some Mich Premiers. Rides much smoother!
- It had twin donkey slongs off the back that had so many holes the lady I bought it from said 'thats a special sounding exhaust!'. You couldn't honestly hear yourself think over how loud they were. Took those off and put on a flowmaster single passenger exit.
-looks like a new gas tank, and hopefully fuel sump, was put on it.
-the Trans has fresh pink fluid and shifts the way a new 4L60e might so I think its been rebuilt.
-the odometer says 154K, but the motor is spunky as all get out. Makes me wonder if its been rebuilt of a cam swap. it starts everytime too.
-the radio is has been replaced. no shock there.

Work done so far:
-Replaced: the shocks with some KYB Excels, upper/lower aarm bushings, parm, tie rods, ball joints, back brakes, 3 eye, battery, rear tranny seal, rear exhaust, rims/tires, rear carpet
-cleaned most of the rear body panels (sem soap + grey pads + elbow greas = not a bad shine!!). Removed the rear jump seat to clean it and remove the other body panels for cleaning. While its out I can move forward with replacing the front carpet can cleaning the middle body panels. I would like to trade out those nashty OBS seats with some NNBS but won't comprise by drilling holes. There is a way to trade out tracks and I will find it, Mwahahaha! The console is mostly toast. The outer shell is decent but the cup holder door is broken off, the cup holder is missing, and it has all this tar all over the inside. Was thinking about sourcing a NNBS console, but I'm toying with the idea of leaving the center clear for travel to the back since I CANNOT stand the roll forward seat design. And since drivers seat is 6-way, only the back goes forward. And only a child can clamor through the opening. Maybe sourcing a NNBS 3rd row seat my work on a track system that bolts into the existing mounting holes of the old rear set. That way I can pop them out when I need the cargo room. Saw it done in a K5. Or create a bolt in platform and make the back trunk floor level all the way to the back of the seat like a true utility should be. ;)
-replaced the plastic linkage on the wipers, but they still randomly stop or seem to slow down a little when not on low or high. Replaced the windshield cowl. And the .
Planned work:
-Restore paint; most of it is still nice. The hood probably needs to be resprayed. There are lots of dings all over it. There are some scratches in the door jams where it looks like someone was high on meth and lost their keys; tried to jimmy the door open.
-front window has some deep scratches in it, not sure if they can be polished out
-need to go through the front interior. the driver power window goes up slow.
-there are three cracks in the dash that have created a three piece dash. not sure what to do about that. I'm not sure my skill level is up to pulling that out to repair or replace even after watching several videos on it.
-need to undercoat the frame, its got surface rust, but so far nothing serious.
-would like to drop a LQ4 with a 4L80, replace the xfer case & front diff with a 03-07 caddy to convert it to all wheel drive!
-i'm thinking the rear leafs and front torqs need to be replaced. It's awfully bouncy. I don't remember my 98 being this bouncy.
-need to replace the master cylinder with a new one
-would like to convert it to all wheel disc

More to come!

TexasMaq

Reaction score
Update on the 'Mule'.
Replaced:
-Rear leaf springs (Kansas city springs); man does it ride sooo much smoother now, doesn't bounce all over the road
-front carpet
-front grill
-front headlamps (added LEDs)
-front turn signal lamps (added CAN LEDS)
-rear signal enclosures (changed over to LED bars)
-rear barn door weather stripping
To do:
-replace torsion bars (having issue with torsion bar insulator; does not seem to have any yet all service manual diagrams indicate one; can they just be removed?)
-door pins with greaseable ones
-have 2014 console to install (without drilling holes)
-find the article on how to swap out the tracks from a OBS front buckets to NNBS front bucket seats and execute
-restore the door cards
-restore the dash, IC
-front door weather stripping