99 Tahoe fuel line pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am curious if anyone knows what pressure the fuel lines are at coming directly out of the pump.

I had to replace my fuel pump as it had finally burned up. When I dropped the tank I noticed the fuel line that feeds the engine (pump to filter) the braided line was super soft and kinked. I wasn't stoked on it so I brought it to a place in town and had them crimp a new line on. The hose man put on a rubber line and I didn't think anything of it. He knew it was for fuel. Anyways that line blew and split the mfer damn near in two. What pressure is coming right out of the pump?

Also if my return line gets kinked will that increase the pressure on the lines anywhere?

I wann say I had like 62 lbs at the injectors before the line blew btw.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated fellers.

Attachments

• 20221204_141037.jpg
    20221204_141037.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 10

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Vortecs usually run 58-65 psi so they need higher pressure rated lines. Probably that was regular fuel line, to blow that fast. The TBI system uses way less pressure, like 10-15 psi, like a carburetor.

Reaction score
Vortecs usually run 58-65 psi so they need higher pressure rated lines. Probably that was regular fuel line, to blow that fast. The TBI system uses way less pressure, like 10-15 psi, like a carburetor.
Right on that's what I was thinking it may be too. Have to wait for them to open tomorrow so I'll double check what line he installed originally.

Thanks for the reply.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pressure on the supply-side plumbing is whatever the pressure regulator is set at. 60-ish, I guess.

IF the return side gets restricted, then the regulator is no longer controlling the pressure. I bet the pump is capable of 80+ psi.

Burst strength on the OEM plumbing is probably 80+ psi x 3 = 240+ psi minimum. Perhaps a good deal more. Summit-brand steel-braid-over-Teflon (PTFE) liner hose in -6 (3/8) for example, has a WORKING pressure rating of 2,500 psi. Burst strength would be higher.
www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220984

The guy who did the previous work is a moron. Think twice before going back there except to demand a refund and apology.

Last edited: