'99 Suburban Overland Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andr_burban

Reaction score
Step 3: I cut a small peep hole to determine where I needed to make my full cut. I was almost surprised to find the pump exactly in the middle of the suburban. The center of the pump is exactly centered side to side, and 19" from the back door seam.

Step 4: My access hole measures 13" from the same seam as the other measurement. The hole is about 12"x10". It is 2 ribs, 3 valleys.

Step 5: Luckily I have a donor Suburban out in the back 40, so I cut a cover plate out of that one. The cover plate measures 16" long, and I went a full rib on each side for added strength. I put a bead of silicone down, then used some orange gorilla tape to go around the plate.

Thank you for the write up on this. And thank you for showing how and where you actually measured from. With this, I was able to make the correct cut the first time

What did you do with the longer pipe at the 9 o’clock position? I’m thinking I’ll have to lower the tank just a bit to get that off but it’s still easier than dropping the tank the whole way.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OP has a 99, his fittings are closer to the sender than yours. Different design.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Killiing time on the local swap n buy page while the wife is grocery shopping, I found this bull bar for $20. I went and picked it up and was back at the grocery store before she was done shopping.

Do you know what brand that grill guard is? I've been looking for one just like it to replace my current, rusty one.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Nice write up Jack, I am in the same boat with the Suburban that I got from your brother. It is in good shape just needs lots of little things fixed. I will start a build/fix thread when I get more time.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed replies. It's been a rough and busy month with losing my dad and a trip to Canada to visit my grandkids. I'm also not getting notice when something is posted on this thread.

What did you do with the longer pipe at the 9 o’clock position? I’m thinking I’ll have to lower the tank just a bit to get that off but it’s still easier than dropping the tank the whole way.

OP has a 99, his fittings are closer to the sender than yours. Different design.
Ya, what he said. Mine was still a bit long, I just turned the whole unit a little to gain access to the fitting.

Do you know what brand that grill guard is?
No clue on that. There aren't any defining marks on it at all.

I will start a build/fix thread when I get more time.
Nice! I can't wait to see his old burb with some improvements!

Reaction score
Nice burb sir. And nice work. I dig the color...any pics of the interior? I have always had a thing for conversion trucks... I'd like to find a set of fiberglass running boards like you have. I currently have the oe black ones, and would just ditch them if the wifey wasn't 5'2'.

Also, sorry to hear about your dad man. My condolences to you and your fam

Where aboot in Canada? I have some family scattered across the great white north as well. Been planning a road trip across the trans Canadian once the burb is back in fighting shape.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. Southern Alberta for me, only aboot 60 miles across the border but still a 2000 mile round trip. If you weren't on the wrong side of the country, I would trade you running boards! Mine are very functional, but a little beat up, I don't like them enough to make them pretty again, and like you, they are necessary with a short wife and shorter grandkids. I am planning on a set of drop down boards, but I'll put the OEM type on until I can justify $2000 for running boards.

Reaction score
Nice. I have some family in Edmonton, Montreal and Nova Scotia don't ya know...I was eyeballing a set of power drop down running boards as well.they are quite pricey...maybe we will take the southern route back on our road trip, can stop over in Nevada and trade boards.
The mark 3 Tahoe I had had the nicest running boards I've seen yet. Still have em, thought about trying to lengthen them to fit the burb, but it's a lot of fiberglass work

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang! Edmonton is way up there, eh! My son-in-laws brother lives in Loydminster, I think. It's close to Edmonton. That's one heck of a long road trip you're planning. That's the kind of traveling I plan on doing in a couple years when I retire. Those Tahoe running boards look like the same style as I have. If you're willing to come this far out of your way, I'll gladly trade you.