99 silverado power window issues!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
I have a 99 Silverado 3door. the power windows all the sudden stopped working. both sides at the same time. The fuses are good but when you test the switch there is five wires there and I would think that at least one would be hot but all are showing ground. Any ideas on where to look. Have traced wires and am not having any luck.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start by checking the wiring boot between the pillar and drivers door for a broken wire if you have no power to switch.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless the hot lead goes from the drivers door to the passenger door (which it might for all I know), that would not account for more than one door. If power proceeds in a loop to driver door, then passenger door a break at that spot would explain it. One test would be to run a hot lead from the battery to the hot side of the driver's door motor. If BOTH windows work then a broken wire in that boot is likely the culprit. If a look at the diagram shows a jumper between the hot sides of both door motors then Bob L very likely has given you the answer. The window switch usually provides the ground connection if I understand it correctly.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
which wire at the switch is supposed to be hot? this truck had a whole bunch of after market crap in it and I have thrown it all away and fixed all wire splices with solder and heat shrink. slowly fixing all the issues but this one has me stumped. I put in keyless and remote start and it all works great. I will tackle the boot tomorrow and see what it turns up. thanks for the help.