99 L31 Burb won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My local O'Reilly's has the pump in Precision brand, is the only one that has lifetime warranty. Delco/Delphi is only a year.... And with my buddy's shop discount I can get it for ~$140 w/ tax. $427 list price! So in the morning I and my neighbor will be playing with the Burb. Wish us luck!

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local O'Reilly's has the pump in Precision brand, is the only one that has lifetime warranty. Delco/Delphi is only a year.... And with my buddy's shop discount I can get it for ~$140 w/ tax. $427 list price! So in the morning I and my neighbor will be playing with the Burb. Wish us luck!

Unless I missed it, did you confirm you have power AT the pump? GMs fuel pumps can be wonky, my old Blazers pump died on me on the way to work one morning, sputtered once, then about 100 feet down the road, dead. No prior warning. Pump had ALWAYS made a lil whine, nothing that was ever concerning.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I'll check tomorrow, it was getting dark. That's part of why I need to get to the wiring.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing you could do is apply 12v right to the pump connection once the tank is dropped. Obviously be careful of fumes and sparks. I have seen people use a 12v drill battery for this. I hate to spend the bills on new parts when it's not the problem, even then you should confirm that is issue before sending the tank back in place.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I'm subbing to this. My '98 K3500 5.7L has the same issue. There's no fuel pressure, NO noise from a new ACDelco fuel pump, and no power at the plug. There's power at the relay, though, but still no power after replacing the relay. There's also power to the fuel level sending unit, but no power to the pump wire.

I scoured the internet for someone who has the same problem and found a forum somewhere that said the problem lied in the fuse box corroding out. It was in a '98 year model, just like mine -_-

He solved his issue by replacing the fuse box. If I were you, that's something I'd look into.

OR OR OR...bypass it with a rocker switch :Big Laugh:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Today my neighbor and I dropped the tank and replaced the pump. I highly recommend draining as much gas as you can; we took out 25 gallons, there was probably 10-11 gallons still in the tank, and it was still very heavy.
It took most of the day as we didn't rush, and ran into a few hold-ups. But the Burb started easily once the pump priming process was complete. And a transmission jack will help a lot; we didn't have one so used both our floor jacks.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm subbing to this. My '98 K3500 5.7L has the same issue. There's no fuel pressure, NO noise from a new ACDelco fuel pump, and no power at the plug. There's power at the relay, though, but still no power after replacing the relay. There's also power to the fuel level sending unit, but no power to the pump wire.

I scoured the internet for someone who has the same problem and found a forum somewhere that said the problem lied in the fuse box corroding out. It was in a '98 year model, just like mine -_-

He solved his issue by replacing the fuse box. If I were you, that's something I'd look into.

OR OR OR...bypass it with a rocker switch :Big Laugh:

If the relay cycles with the key and you've "jumped" the pump at its connection to make sure it works, then I'd start tracing your wiring harness down. Looking for bad grounds, connections, etc. If nothing found then it's probably a rubbed through or broken wire somewhere.

After dealing with ground issues (cost me a cat after it shut down the pass bank and dumped raw gas in a VERY hot converter), wire issues don't scare me much anymore. Youtube is a great help generally.