99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much progress. My mom died 2 months ago, and I'm just now getting back to work in the shop. The heads and manifold have been ready to go on for months. But then I'm dreading the time and effort it will take to actually swap the engine and ecm and get it all dialed. I have had a crazy idea involving a holley sniper recently, so I will keep this thread updated more often.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much progress. My mom died 2 months ago, and I'm just now getting back to work in the shop. The heads and manifold have been ready to go on for months. But then I'm dreading the time and effort it will take to actually swap the engine and ecm and get it all dialed. I have had a crazy idea involving a holley sniper recently, so I will keep this thread updated more often.
Sorry to hear about your mother.

If you are already going with something like the sniper, you might as well just do a Terminator Max and get transmission control too. You can switch to a standard single plane intake and just slap the stealth 4150 kit on there, or use all the stock intake and throttle body stuff with a Terminator X LS kit with the benefit of being able to run CNP too.

Bu327

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Scott, hope you are well. Just wondering if you’ve been able to work on your truck at all?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking of me! I AM working on it again, getting ready to make the engine swap. I have not done the rewiring for the 0411 yet, but soon. I want to relocate it inside the cab for cleanliness under the hood. Today I took the front clip off. This is definitely the way to pull an engine. I'm going to replace the steering box and all linkage, and the arm bushings and ball joints at the same time. Heck I would hate to change the steering box without taking the front clip off. Might have the front axle all rebuilt too.

Questions for you guys:

1. Can I eliminate the ABS motor? Maybe just go to an adjustable proportioning valve? I assume it can all be turned off in the 0411 tune.

2. I'm probably going with the Edelbrock victor jr direct-port injected manifold, plus long-tube stainless headers. That should be capable of well over 400 crank hp with the ported heads. What size injectors will that need? 40 lb/hr?

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking of me! I AM working on it again, getting ready to make the engine swap. I have not done the rewiring for the 0411 yet, but soon. I want to relocate it inside the cab for cleanliness under the hood. Today I took the front clip off. This is definitely the way to pull an engine. I'm going to replace the steering box and all linkage, and the arm bushings and ball joints at the same time. Heck I would hate to change the steering box without taking the front clip off. Might have the front axle all rebuilt too.

Questions for you guys:

1. Can I eliminate the ABS motor? Maybe just go to an adjustable proportioning valve? I assume it can all be turned off in the 0411 tune.

2. I'm probably going with the Edelbrock victor jr direct-port injected manifold, plus long-tube stainless headers. That should be capable of well over 400 crank hp with the ported heads. What size injectors will that need? 40 lb/hr?

40 lb/h injectors would be a great plenty if you're never going to go crazy with power or run e85. They'll support somewhere north of 500, assuming you mean 40 lbs @ 58 psi.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That manifold can be good for making top end power, but it will likely loose a lot of mid range torque.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Modernbeat, fuel injection systems don't lose low and mid torque as bad as carbureted engines do with single plane manifolds. On carb engines, fuel falls out of suspension inside large manifolds at low air flow velocity, but that doesn't happen as much with direct port injection.

Last year I bought an Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 manifold and throttle body on ebay, minus it's original ecm and distributor. The manifold is in that picture above. My plan right now is to use a carb bonnet to it's throttle body, with a maf sensor in the duct, and tune the 0411 to run it all. The 0411 should be able to do everything the pro flo ecm could do and more, right?

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, thanks for setting me straight. But, I -only- deal with fuel injected engines, and the dyno shows every time that those single plane manifolds, even when converted to port injection, lose the sort of torque we want for driveability and towing. They are great for racing, where we want upper end horsepower. But the runners are too short to make power down low.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, thanks for setting me straight. But, I -only- deal with fuel injected engines, and the dyno shows every time that those single plane manifolds, even when converted to port injection, lose the sort of torque we want for driveability and towing. They are great for racing, where we want upper end horsepower. But the runners are too short to make power down low.
Agreed it will lose a good chunk of torque compared to the long tuned runner truck intake or a dual plane.

I ran a production Mercruiser Mag MPI dual plane intake on my 383 for a while. It ran as you would expect a dual plane to run. Abundant low-midrange torque, very sharp throttle response and good fuel mileage. I honestly do not understand why intake manufacturers do not offer them. A dual plane port fuel injected intake with a 4150 4bbl throttle body for a SBC, big block or LS1 would be a really nice running intake and look great under a cowl induction or shaker setup in an old muscle car. Dual plane mpi intake makes a solid 30-40 ft/lbs more torque at low engine speeds than a single plane. The manifold I owned looked like a copy of a performer rpm vortec square bore but in cast iron. I was also surprised to see an open center spacer, a 4 hole spacer as well as a notch in the plenum divider alter the power curve on a dry dual plane. I guess the physics make sense of it, since air has fluid like behavior especially as its velocity increases or decreases. While I had no way of testing it, I believe the intake tuning resonance waves in a dual plane are even stronger with the intake manifold runners flowing only air. The mass of the fuel is not present in a large portion of the manifold to slow or weaken the resonance waves.

I actually traded that intake along with an Edelbrock plenum off to a buddy and he runs it on his 350. He added a big open center spacer for even more plenum volume then the elbow alone added.

Last edited: