99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue. that timing set will not work with the efi. had to get a GM single roller. Comp told me and sold me the 3149, was able to return. can't believe those guys too far.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am so annoyed with comp cams. The page for the 3149kt timing set says it is not compatible with the factory efi, but doesn't say why. I don't remember seeing that when I bought it back in '21. It also says it comes with a torrington bearing, and that's not true. But it also doesn't make sense for it to work without the efi tone ring. The ring is .200 thick, but the crank sprocket is .100 wider than stock. So running it without the tone ring would need a .100 thick spacer, or the damper would go in too deep. Again, not mentioned. *****!
If the crank sprocket is 0.100" thicker, that is about what my L31 reluctor is thickness wise. I think it was 0.110" when I measured. Meaning the sprocket would work, without the reluctor. I have a Fluidamper for a regular SBC cut down that thickness, but have since found it eats the front seal and needs some more machining to go back on. Fluidamper cut it down, but not where the seal rides.

The problem you have run into is why I have a GM style single roller in my small blocks.

My 8.1L has a double roller but it was already from a factory 8.1L and the 24x crank reluctor is pressed on the back of the crank in the block. I did have to swap to the right later style timing cover and cam sensor to run it though. Which is not a bad thing given GM has discontinued the early model cam sensor I had. The later sensor is the Grey Gen IV LS one so I feel I am safe for atleast a while on anybody discontinuing it.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to cut my damper down to work with 19260247 gm timing kit. The only thing still available out of the kit are the sensors and the timing chain, but it is a double roller(however 58x)

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
L31, I measured my reluctor wheel at .200 where it touches the sprocket. Leaving the wheel out will result in a .100 gap, so it needs a spacer or the damper will go in too deep. The tech said his notes mention the .100 greater thickness, and apologized and said they are always several years behind on the web info. Notice their pic of the keyway adjustable gen 6 timing set is a double roller, for example..

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How to make it right: chuck it up in the mill and mill off .100." The laser shop where I used to work cut me a big washer out of 3/16 steel. Made a little circle timing mark with an engraver. It went right on and lines up perfectly. Thanks for nothing, Comp!

Attachments

• IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 19

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil temp is a problem on all trucks. My 93 blazer with a 350 would burn the paint off the oil filter. The factory doesn't put a gauge in probably so you aren't horrified. I welded in a half coupling on the oil pan for a gauge sender. The inside of the pan is nicely painted so I left it alone. I bead blasted the outside, then painted it with an etching primer and VHT hi temp black. I like to deburr things, from blocks and heads to engine mounts and control arms. The suspension and misc stuff is getting the etching primer, then painted later. And for the record, the best paint the factory put on this truck anywhere is the upper control arms and the steering knuckles. The uca's must have been powder coated, because stripper wouldn't touch it. They took 30 minutes each in the bead blaster.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 19

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to relocate the oil filter because of my home made header. But I have not been able to find an aftermarket filter adapter. So I figured with some luck, I could modify the factory 4wd filter adapter to allow a connection with an AN nipple. Sure enough, I cut off the filter flange and drilled and tapped the ports for 3/8 inch pipe threads. I will plug the oil filter return port on the adapter and the cooler output port in the block. Oil will come out of the filter adapter, go to the remote filter and cooler, then back into the block in the cooler return port. I expect to need more oil cooling, as the new temp gauge will likely show. The internal oil passages in the block are all about .500 inch, so the oil lines should be 5/8 od steel tubing. That means a -10 AN fitting, which is pretty big and bulky. The factory cooler lines are only .500 od, so 1/2 inch tubing will do, and allow the more compact -8 fittings.

Attachments

• IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 31

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And in my spare time today, I made this section of exhaust from the left side collector, going to the right ride of the truck, taking a dip under the driveshaft. I have to order another 2-1/2 inch 90 deg bend to finish it.

Attachments

• IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 19

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I wasted some time and ruined that 4wd filter adapter that I probably could have sold on ebay. I finally found a gen 5/6 remote adapter by Canton. Oh well it's still fun to experiment..

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you guys do for motor mounts? Oem ones are $80+ each on ebay. I suppose polyurethane is too harsh.