99 K2500 Rear Spring Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is more like asking what won't work. I tow a 10k toy hauler with 1000 lb or thereabouts, tongue weight. Looking at swapping in heavier rear springs similar to the HD SRW chevy trucks. Springs are tedious to research. I see 3400 lb, 64" x 2.5" which will fit. Question is should I do it? The 'burb isn't a daily driver. Always pulling something. The truck pulls the weight OK, but the rear is mushy. Connecting the trailer without the trunnions is scary. I often move the the trailer from the storage building to the house and don't want to fool with the trunnions. Don't want to break anything either. I never travel without trunnions and sway control. I like the idea of heavier springs. Air bags were suggested..and that might be a resolution. But the heavier springs look better to me. I have 2 year old hd shocks, but they seem worn out. Short life? Replace them (again) when I do the springs. Truck is in good condition with 160k. Also could be the original springs are failing. Static height is normal.
All opinions welcome. Tried to search for this subject, but nothing definitive ..yet.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

ullwn

Reaction score
FWIW...........

Consider Dayton Springs{Made in the USA, in PA]

Look at Daytons HD Versions

Stengel Brothers has very good pricing on Dayton Springs.

The link below will show what is available

http://www.stengelbros.com/suspension-springs/leaf-springs/heavy-duty-leaf-springs/

I have installed 22-617HD Special Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Assembly on my 1986 5/4 ton, rated at 4,650 Lbs each spring pack.

https://www.stengelbros.net/22-617H...--91-Leaf-9401-2ND-1770-4650-Lbs-_p_1849.html

These are the largest I have found that are made in the USA for my 86

For 92-99 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban; Rear look at 22-907HD Special Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Assembly, 3,760 Lbs each spring pack

https://www.stengelbros.net/22-907H...--71-Leaf-7401-2ND-1100-3760-Lbs-_p_1859.html

Also look at ORD Rear SuperShackles, fully welded 1/4" steel plate, I used them with the HD Spring on the 86. They are well worth the cost.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdREARshackles.htm

Regards

Joseph

Last edited:

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look. Is your truck tolerable when unloaded? May I ask what weight you're pulling? I was reviewing the tongue weight on my 31V and it's 1200 max. Need to weigh the thing with the cart in the back. I dunno how much that levers off the tongue. About 850 lbs in the "garage".
After knocking this thing around, I'm looking at air...Very popular. Never been much a fan of add-on airbags. I don't see them as failsafe, but looking. Looking at Firestone 2158 5000 lb bags and 2097 compressor. About $700 total. Went on Forest River forum and folks like the air ride. We'll see.
Thanks again!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
22-907HD Special Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Assembly (Made in the USA) for 92-99 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban; Rear --7/1 Leaf: 7/401 2ND 1/100: 3,760 Lbs

The dimensions they list don't match my truck. Existing springs are 32+32 and 64.5" long. May be difference between 5+1 and 7+1. That's what I'm looking for.
Thanks

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For S&Gs, this is what rides in the back. Kawasaki Brute Force 750 powered EZGO. Legal in campgrounds [emoji41]
You must be registered for see images attach

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reckon the problem is solved...at least I threw a enough bucks at it that it should be. Went with Firestone 2101 which are 5k add-on bags and specifically for Suburban GMT400s. Also bought their 2097 compressor. It's a single, 150 lb compressor.
Now my question relates to where the pump mounts. I'd like it inside. Maybe under a seat or similar. I've got ample power and space beneath the driver's seat. Is that cool? Ideas welcome.
Looked at Jegs, Summit, AMZ, and EBay. Jegs looked like the best deal initially. But looking around a few hours later and AMZ was $100 less on the combined items...That was not the price listed 24 hours ago. Looks like they see buyers returning? I dunno. I find pricing errors on eBay occasionally, but AMZ is a nachine...if they show a price, it's intentional.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. Recieved the Firestone air springs and compressor kits.
Major change in plans.
Bought a bigger truck.
Not sure that I'll install the air system. It looks like good quality fabrication.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see you got a new truck. But yes, air bags for towing makes a huge difference.
My favorite thing about them is you keep your original ride quality unloaded.

I'm actually looking for some Firestone air bags right now for my 91.
I had them on my gmt800 That I towed with and won't go without them now.
Gotta be careful on a 1500 tho. I bent my frame by towing too much with the bags aired up to level the truck.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah on the "towing". My big issue related to getting the 11k camper stopped...it would go plenty good. The other thing was a general sense that the trailer was driving the truck. It was.
I might buy some new bag brackets and install the airbags and compressor on the 3500. Can't imagine needing air assist on a truck with 5500 payload and 22,500 tow capacity. The new truck has 410's, which is not common with Cummins 6.7.
Part os a special HD tow package. I've had 1 ton trucks in the past and all of them were like buckboards. The 3500 rides about the same as my 'burb.
People are lining up for the burb. Haven't advertised it, just word getting out.
End of an era...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk