99 K2500 Burb Adventure/Camping/Hunting Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I commented on the first video where he announced he was thinking about making that "Suburvanche" or whatever he called on YT comments, that the wheelbase of the suburbans is just too short for making them look like a truck. The rear axle is pushed forward too much. If look at some of suburban "dually" conversions on the internet where all they do is slap some fender flares, they look horrendous in my opinion.

It's unfortunate he's selling, as I was looking forward for the SAS he had mentioned. That would have been a much cooler swap. I used to tune into all his videos when he started with that ugly truck project, but losing interest in the channel lately. I'm just not into the super-duper modified, lowered trucks.

Anyway, welcome aboard! Lot's great folks here. I think you are going to like your Suburban! What part of Texas are you from?
I agree with all that you said. i was going to subscribe to his channel, but after viewing a few videos, I quickly saw that his ideas and my ideas were not compatible for viewing LOL he made it look fantastic with the wheel change, but he apparently is into the type of truck i couldn't care less about.

We are in the Alvarado area, south of Fort Worth about 30 minutes. We have a house in Waxahachie that is supposed to be remodeled this year if the contractors will get in gear and can get materials. It's been almost a year since the plan started, so not holding my breath there.

Glad I found this forum. I need to start a thread with my Burban. I don't plan on much other than fluid changes, some simple "mods" such as headlight replacement, thorough cleaning, etc. It'll stay mostly stock and unmolested. I have only had it a week and smile every morning I start it up to go to work.

Last edited:

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I agree with all that you said. i was going to subscribe to his channel, but after viewing a few videos, I quickly saw that his ideas and my ideas were not compatible for viewing LOL he made it look fantastic with the wheel change, but he apparently is into the type of truck i couldn't care less about.

We are in the Alvarado area, south of Fort Worth about 30 minutes. We have a house in Waxahachie that is supposed to be remodeled this year if the contractors will get in gear and can get materials. It's been almost a year since the plan started, so not holding my breath there.

Glad I found this forum. I need to start a thread with my Burban. I don't plan on much other than fluid changes, some simple "mods" such as headlight replacement, thorough cleaning, etc. It'll stay mostly stock and unmolested. I have only had it a week and smile every morning I start it up to go to work.
Hey! I'm in the Ft. Worth area! Glad to have you here.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a bluetooth reader and the Torque app. No misfire counts on any cylinders.

Same DTCs as before. Finally able to read the CMP Offset, -30 degrees.

Working on the truck today I determined my TDC mark is officially TDC. Bought a TDC tool, that wasn't long enough to touch the top of the cylinder, so I ended up using just a long bolt.

Also had a coolant and power steering leak. Coolant leak is from the rad, looks like someone put some epoxy on it before and that didn't keep it sealed. Wasn't loosing it quickly, but was loosing enough to notice it on the ground. Radiator is draining right now.

I believe I found the power steering leak. There was a loose connection at the pump. I tightened that up, so we'll see if that resolves the issue.

While I have the radiator out, I'm going to pull the water pump, and the timing cover, replace the timing gears and chain. I regret not doing that the first go round. Live and learn I guess. I'm hoping that my chain is off a tooth. I did remove the timing chain and cam gear before engine install, but it seemed fine. I didn't however verify it was properly installed before putting the timing cover back on. Then after watching videos, I realize how loose the chain actually was.

Attachments​

• You must be registered for see images attach

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the timing cover off today. Broke part of the inner tab that surrounds the oil pan gasket(will post a picture tomorrow). The piece that broke off fell into the oil pan. I was able to get it out with a screwdriver and some axle grease thankfully.

I was off slightly with the timing chain. So new timing chain and gears are installed. Ran it through a few revolutions by hand and the marks keep lining back up when they should so I think I'm good to go there. Tomorrow I will be getting it all back together re-stabbing the distributor and hopefully that fixes my CMP offset code. Once that code is gone I will get the exhaust welded back in and that should clear the rest of the codes(I hope).

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally finished up for the day. Timing cover was a pain to install with the oil pan installed. I ended up cutting the seal for the oil pan gasket, as well as trimming the timing cover lip(where it would be inside the oil pan. I gooped a bunch of high temp gasket maker in there with it. I got in in, hopefully it's sealed well, I guess time will tell.

Ended up buying a new distributor, the gears on the old one were pretty worn. Not sure that I needed it but I was going to be messing with it anyway, figured I don't want to have to do this again. Took me about 800 tries to get the distributor in properly, but eventually I got it. My CMP Offset reads -.8 never exceeds -2.

New radiator is installed and no leaks there. Power steering pump wasn't actively leaking after tightening the line back up. However when I first started the truck the oil cooler line shot out from the block and dumped all my oil on the ground. Took me about 30 seconds to realize it. Got that put back in, new oil and she didn't sound too happy for about 30 seconds after that, but all good now.

I still have the EGR and O2 codes. I'll get the exhaust piece welded back in and see if that fixes the issue. If not I will trouble shoot further.

It's drivable now, just in time. My wife's car is at the dealership with a bad motor. Hyundai recall for knock sensor programming. They did the update, and then the car decided damage had already occurred. Waiting to hear if they are going to cover it under warranty. Seeing as the recall states without the update severe bearing damage may occur, I feel they should replace the motor. We have been down to 1 vehicle since Friday. No we're back up to 2.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
She's running great, I was worried about the oil cooler lines popping out of the block again(already happened twice). Today I put in AN -8 lines with a threaded adapter straight into the block. No more worrying about the oil lines. It was a lot easier than I expected. I had never worked with AN line before but it's pretty nice stuff.

Still trying to pinpoint my power steering leak. Probably just going to replace all the power steering lines and be done with it.

I have an 02 sensor that's throwing a code. Bank 2 Sensor 1. I went and got a new one today, and started the process of soaking the old one in penetrating oil everyday for the next week and hope that works. The location of the sensor is pretty hard to reach, and I can't even get the O2 socket on it, so I will be attempting it with a wrench. If that doesn't work I will just disconnect the exhaust from the manifold and that should give me the clearance I need.

It has become my DD, as the wife's car is awaiting an engine replacement and I'm fighting with the dealership about the warranty. So far no major issues.

Next up is rebuilding the front end. Every bushing is shot. I'll be doing all new bushings, ball joints etc, new wheel bearings, and cv shafts(passenger side is shot).

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I had been looking at a front end kit from RockAuto. It was a Mevotech Supreme, and had almost everything for the steering/suspension rebuild up front. Right around $415, but shipping was the killer. I went ahead and added pieces individually to build the kit myself. Used Mevotech TTX tie rods and ball joints, almost everything else was Mevotech supreme. Everything is greaseable. Since I didn't get upper control arms, I got control arm bushings upper/lower. Shipping was 19.99 instead of about 60 for the kit. So overall I got some better products, for a cheaper price. I also added in some power steering lines and shipping didn't go up. I attached a RockAuto cart listing the front end parts ordered for anyone interested.

I figured while I have the front torn apart is a good time to do CV shafts(passenger side is bad), wheel bearings, and brakes all around(including hardware and hoses). Also ordered a brake controller.

All in all about $1500 worth of parts. My cheap Suburban is quickly becoming expensive...but I am daily driving it which was not the plan originally.

Attachments

• Front End Rebuild.pdf
    368.2 KB · Views: 13

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well I had been looking at a front end kit from RockAuto. It was a Mevotech Supreme, and had almost everything for the steering/suspension rebuild up front. Right around $415, but shipping was the killer. I went ahead and added pieces individually to build the kit myself. Used Mevotech TTX tie rods and ball joints, almost everything else was Mevotech supreme. Everything is greaseable. Since I didn't get upper control arms, I got control arm bushings upper/lower. Shipping was 19.99 instead of about 60 for the kit. So overall I got some better products, for a cheaper price. I also added in some power steering lines and shipping didn't go up. I attached a RockAuto cart listing the front end parts ordered for anyone interested.

I figured while I have the front torn apart is a good time to do CV shafts(passenger side is bad), wheel bearings, and brakes all around(including hardware and hoses). Also ordered a brake controller.

All in all about $1500 worth of parts. My cheap Suburban is quickly becoming expensive...but I am daily driving it which was not the plan originally.
Yep, when you daily them, it gets expensive quickly! My Burb was supposed to be the swap meet and toy show truck, had newer cars to daily. But then they laid down on me, and the ol Chevy keeps on going.....
I need to do the UCA's and front brakes ( that I bought last year with part of Mom's stimulus check) and check out the back brakes before my Austin trip after Easter. We'll be towing a U-Haul trailer, so gotta be able to stop a loaded rug in the hills. My neighbor can help me with this, since he has electricity in his garage and I don't, but he and his extended family keep getting sick. Crazy weather here, 78° one day and 40° the next, aren't helping there!