99 K2500 Burb Adventure/Camping/Hunting Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the timing issue/miss sorted out. Just got some dielectric grease on the contacts of the distributor cap.

Fired it up and it sounded ok. Could still hear the sound with the stethoscope from the bottom of the pan. I decided to take it for a short drive(something I hadn't done yet). Get it warm before I drained the oil and drop the pan. Drained the oil, removed the filter. Filter shockingly didn't show any signs of metal, but was very sludgy.

After that I went to move the drain pain out of the way and that's when I noticed the flakes/coolant in the oil. I'm positive there was not water/coolant in the oil the first time I drained it. There was this time.
20210915_133408[1].jpg

So, now I am trying to determine which route to go. Options are:
1. Rebuild stock
2. Rebuild with some performance upgrades
3. Rebuild as a 496
4. Buy a GM 488 crate motor
5. See what the junkyard has to offer, either stock replacement, or 8.1 with 0411 swap.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a parts truck today. $1000 for a 97 GMC k2500 Burb, 7.4/454, 4l80, 3.73 gears, auto transfer case. Motor and trans are good(although leaky) but the body and interior are TRASH. I plan to pull a whole bunch of the useful parts off and then scrap the rest. I needed the motor to get my 99 on the road, figured I'd pay around 800+ from a junk yard for a motor, this way I get a lot of other parts I might need.

I have decided I will be doing a Cummins, NV4500(or5600) swap, as well as a manual shift transfer case. I wanted to be able to drive it while I accumulate the parts for that though.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So this is the parts truck. 180k miles.

Today, I ripped that stupid bumper guard off. It was only held on by 2 bolts through the bumper. Not meant for this truck, was loose. Overall horrible contraption.

Anyway I got the grill, bumper, hood, headlights, fan and other misc front end components removed. I wanted to do a whole bunch more, but my oldest son (8) wanted to help me, so I was letting him do most of the work after I got the bumper off. It was slow going, but it was the first time he's really wanted to stay out there with me working. I'll go slow if it gives me more time with my kids.

Tomorrow I should be picking up an engine hoist, engine stand, and trans jack. Then I'll really get down to it and start pulling parts. Once the motor is out and on the stand, I'm going to replace front/rear main seals, pull the intake and replace the gasket. Put my new injectors in this motor, basically refresh it before pulling the junk motor and putting it in its place. I'm hoping to have it out and refreshed by Tuesday. Then drop it in the truck next weekend.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I got the front diff out. It was super simple to unbolt, but I struggled to get it out of the hole. I've got the exhaust bolts soaking in WD40 I need the front half of the exhaust as I had to cut mine.

Coolant and oil are drained. My goal is to get the trans and core support out tomorrow. Also hoping to have the motor ready to pull.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't get as far today as I had hoped. I did however, get to only having, motor mounts, trans mounts, bellhousing bolts and torque converter bolts. Once those are done, the transmission will drop out, and I'll yank the motor out.

I ordered all new gaskets for the motor, figured I'd give it a good once over before putting it in my truck.
-Intake manifold gaskets(upper and lower)
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Front/Rear Main Seals
-Timing Cover Gasket kit(will inspect timing chain and gears)
-Oil Pan Gasket(will inspect rod/main bearings)
-Oil Pump
-Water Pump
-Misc sensors
-Thermostat
-Exhaust manifold Gasket
-Idler Pulley
-Tensioner Pulley

Parts already on hand from the old motor:
-Cap/Rotor
-Spark Plugs
-Wires
-Injectors
-FPR
-Oil Pressure Switch
-Fuel Filter
-PCV Valve
-EGR Valve
-and I'm sure there is more I'm Forgetting.

Hopefully once I'm done with the motor it won't leak again for a long time. Of course if I find any issues while doing the work I'll rectify the situation before I stuff it in.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well today, I got the motor out of the parts truck and on the stand. Gonna start tearing into it tomorrow. Trans is out and on the floor. Gonna clean it up and get it listed for sale. Then I'm going to start taking all the other useable parts off the parts truck so I can get the shell out of my garage.

I definitely struggled with the bell housing bolts, I didn't miss anything and the motor came right out though. I'm pretty happy for my first motor pull ever.

Attachments

• Part Moto.jpg
    Part Moto.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Trans on the floor.jpg
    Trans on the floor.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 26

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it on the stand and started pulling it apart. Never intended to pull the heads, but while pulling the intake, something fell into the cylinder with the open intake valve. I had no choice.

So, now its just a short block on the stand. Cylinder walls still have some crosshatch albeit not much. Plugs looked good. I got the headers off without any broken studs. Overall it was a smooth tear down.

I still need to flip it over and get the oil pan off, check the bottom end, clean it up, and bolt it all back together.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I ordered everything I need to make my "custom" centercaps for the H2 wheels.

Verified I have all the parts to put the motor together next weekend. Get the old one out, this one in and take it for a test drive.

If I don't post next Sunday that I test drove the truck, I want someone to come over to my house and scold me. Then grab a beer and help me finish :anitoof::anitoof::anitoof:

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I'm a little behind my goal of driving the truck to work Monday. But I did get the heads, and deck cleaned up. Heads, and all head components are installed. New valve cover gaskets. Oil pan is off, new oil pump in. I rented a Harmonic balancer puller from Autozone right before they closed last night. Got home to realize it was an installer not a puller. So today, going to get the puller, pulling the balancer, and replacing front main seal, as well as the timing cover seal. Once that's done I'll put the oil pan back on, and the motor will be ready for parts from the other motor. I'll be transferring over: Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel injectors, Oil press switch. Basically everything I had already replaced prior to diagnosing the rod knock.

Then pull the old motor, and drop this one in. I still think I can get it done by Monday at 3pm.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the good motor all put back together. Just need to prime the oil pump, and install the intake once its in the truck.

Old one is on the way out. Ran into some issues with 1 of the exhaust bolts. Only have 1 exhaust bolt, 2 bell housing bolts and the motor mounts and it's out. I would have kept going, but its late, and I decided to be a good neighbor and not run impacts after about 8:30. I'm still shooting for driving it to work Monday.