'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh yeah, forgot about that. But once they slip it's usually too late. I think to do a band you yank the pump and front drum and it's right there though, right?
Yes, it's around the front drum I believe. The bad thing is, once it starts slipoing and burning up, it's not long before the other clutches start to burn up due to heat too.
I have no experience rebuilding one, but I've watched enough on them that I'm sure I could do a pretty good job. I may buy a core to rebuild for the next time this one goes out. Either that or save up for a Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And we still wait to hear from the dealership... 2 months in total they've had it there now. I'm getting very impatient with them.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've worked for a ford/dodge dealership an most of the time if u weren't buddy buddy with the service writer youd be at the end of the list. Kinda the same scenario now being at a Polaris dealership but most of the time it's a backordered part. Had a transmission for a brand new ranger that took 2 months just to get.

Needless to say it sucks, I'd go in an talk to the manager. Going in works better then calling, plus u can ask to grab something out of the truck so u can see what/if they've done anything.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're definitely a lot more patient than I am; I dropped my old green Burb off for a rear planetary replacement and some t-case work, they told me two days and later that week I was on my way to get it and take it somewhere else.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are waiting on a shift solenoid to come in last I heard. I'm still concerned it won't correct the issue. I'll be fighting for a new transmission next time if it happens. I was told that it wouldn't be another month wait again, but here we are 3 and a half weeks later... they've had it 2 months out of the past 3 months.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are waiting on a shift solenoid to come in last I heard. I'm still concerned it won't correct the issue. I'll be fighting for a new transmission next time if it happens. I was told that it wouldn't be another month wait again, but here we are 3 and a half weeks later... they've had it 2 months out of the past 3 months.

Maybe 4L80E time? The only trans shop that I've heard is remotely worth a damn is Bench Built Transmissions in Landis, unless there's someone good in your neck of the woods?

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe 4L80E time? The only trans shop that I've heard is remotely worth a damn is Bench Built Transmissions in Landis, unless there's someone good in your neck of the woods?
I was leaning towards a stage 2 performabuilt transmission. They have a 2 year warranty regardless what application it is or if it's raced and dogged a lot. They also rate it at 700rwhp and it's what a lot of the nbs guys go with when looking for a performance transmission that'll handle a trucks weight well. I haven't read of anyone having any issue with their performabuilt 4l60e.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Received news today that the 2-4 band is burnt up again and that the valve body and switch (I'm assuming shift solenoid) didnt fix it. I was figuring it was the band that was burnt up again because I had no second gear and 4th would slip in overdrive, which the transmission tech claimed it shifted normally in overdrive. I was also advised to get a shift kit installed, and I asked if that would void my warranty. I was told it would, but they're not rebuilding it again bc of the different engine and "all that's modified on it that makes it much quicker than what the transmission was designed for". I was also told that the technician had the band adjusted loosely where everything spun freely. Too loose apparently to where the servo pin had excessive clearance on the band. I'll be sure to check the clearance on the servo before leaving the lot with it.
Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated with a dealership and a so called "warranty". After April, I'll be installing a Sonnax Performance Pack and saving up for a Performabuilt 4l60e.