'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That still leaves me with the low fuel pressure issue, but I'm 99% sure that's the pump. Going to drive it till she dies. Seems like every time I mention a ls swap, i find a simple fix for it! Guess the old 350 doesn't like hearing those words! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Glad you got it going! Those parts house cap and rotors are junk! They burn through internally and crossfire! That would explain the no start! AC is the only way to fly with ignition parts on these trucks, IMO!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you got it going! Those parts house cap and rotors are junk! They burn through internally and crossfire! That would explain the no start! AC is the only way to fly with ignition parts on these trucks, IMO!
I agree. And the best part is that the fix was free! I saved my ac stuff from the old distributor.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's close, but not quite enough! My 98 never goes below 55 while driving. Then again that could be the difference in guages. GM spec I believe is 58. Correct me if I'm wrong. What's it do when you rev it?
Everything I'm reading says 60-66psi. When I rev it it climbs up to 52 for a second then drops back down as I keep constant on the pedal.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Everything I'm reading says 60-66psi. When I rev it it climbs up to 52 for a second then drops back down as I keep constant on the pedal.

Yep I did some reading as well and you are correct on the pressure. What I came up with is 58 is the threshold for the poppets to function correctly. Since they have to have pressure to open I'm amazed it's running. I bet a new poppet wouldn't fire. The old ones have probably weakened a little over time allowing them to run at a lower pressure. My... I guess I should say my dads 98 has the upgraded spider in it. Since it fires electronically I guess the pressure doesn't have to be as high to run correctly. If you could rig a way to block off the line before the regulator with the gauge on, that would show you how strong the pump is without any other variables in place. That's what I did when diagnosing mine. My pump went almost to 70psi before shutting off. So I changed the regulator, no change in the running. That's when I changed the spider. Been good every since. I've also heard of the plastic lines running to the poppets cracking just enough to cause a problem. The extra fuel gets sucked into the engine unmetered causing all kinds of wierd things to happen. I say rule out the pump first then go from there. Sorry for the ramble! Lol!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep I did some reading as well and you are correct on the pressure. What I came up with is 58 is the threshold for the poppets to function correctly. Since they have to have pressure to open I'm amazed it's running. I bet a new poppet wouldn't fire. The old ones have probably weakened a little over time allowing them to run at a lower pressure. My... I guess I should say my dads 98 has the upgraded spider in it. Since it fires electronically I guess the pressure doesn't have to be as high to run correctly. If you could rig a way to block off the line before the regulator with the gauge on, that would show you how strong the pump is without any other variables in place. That's what I did when diagnosing mine. My pump went almost to 70psi before shutting off. So I changed the regulator, no change in the running. That's when I changed the spider. Been good every since. I've also heard of the plastic lines running to the poppets cracking just enough to cause a problem. The extra fuel gets sucked into the engine unmetered causing all kinds of wierd things to happen. I say rule out the pump first then go from there. Sorry for the ramble! Lol!
Oh no, I appreciate all the info! I'm betting it's the pump, but I'll check it first.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just kidding, but I did score the cover for 5 bucks today! I also got around to washing it and decided to clay bar it and put on a coat of wax as well.
You must be registered for see images attach