99 Interior to 93 Swap - Manual to Power, No tac to tac, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nJohnson

Reaction score
Ok, so now I bought two more Suburbans. LOL. I picked up another 99 and another 93. So I can swap the perfect 93 interior in to the 93 with the crappy interior and the 99 interior to the 99 I just found with the perfect body. So, in short I will now have two OBS Suburbans and both will be mint - a 99 and a 93. From the comments and looking at all the differences it was turning win to a big hassle and if I had to go through that much hassle why not have two vehicles?

nJohnson

Reaction score
No it doesn't, there's a small "DRAC" module behind the glove box that handles the speedometer in the 92-95 models, but if you just leave that where it is there, you don't need to worry about the cluster still.
SO, you may know the answer to this. I did pick up another 93 but this model has a tac, where the other cluster did not. To get the tack working on the cluster what would I need to do?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If the wire is not already present (which I think it is), you would need to run one from the ignition coil to the correct pin on the cluster connector.... But I'm pretty sure even the trucks that didn't come with the tach from the factory still came wired for it.. I mean obviously I could be wrong. But in any case, cluster connector pin T needs to have that coil signal wire.

nJohnson

Reaction score
If the wire is not already present (which I think it is), you would need to run one from the ignition coil to the correct pin on the cluster connector.... But I'm pretty sure even the trucks that didn't come with the tach from the factory still came wired for it.. I mean obviously I could be wrong. But in any case, cluster connector pin T needs to have that coil signal wire.
Interesting. Here I thought it would be more complicated, like running a wire to the transmission, but that makes more sense and would be a lot easier.

jaydee1445

Reaction score
The clusters between 92-99 are actually electrically very similar; the wiring for them is forward and backward compatible between 92-99 - you just have to re-pin the connectors to the correct pin-outs.

The stereo connectors are the same between all 88-99 - 95+ lack dash speakers however, having moved them to the front doors.

HVAC systems are physically the same, electrically different between 88-94/95+; but they're on a completely separate harness from the rest of the dash electronics, so all you'd need to do is swap the door motors and wiring/resistor module to use the newer HVAC controller.. Might need to repin and/or splice two or three connections for the A/C, grounds, power, etc... But it's pretty easy to figure out. Or just keep the electronic controller and retrofit it into the newer dash. The heater box itself is identical 88-99 tho.

Depending on which steering column/wheel you want to use... If you stick with the 93's column, no change needs to be made - however if you decide to go with the 99's column, you'll need to completely rewire the ignition system in the cab, swap the column support bracket that's spot-welded to the firewall, and change the transmission shifting linkage setup to the cable setup the later models use.

For the door panels, you'll need the exterior panels (with the switches and stuff) and the interior panels (that hold the window motor, lock actuator, lock and handle rods, and wiring). The interior panels are directly swappable, no modifications needed, and the windows and tracks are all the same 88-99.

I went the other direction: 97 truck, 94 interior. I ended up fully custom-rewiring the entire interior. It's one hell of a job lol. For your 93, you can get a brand new dash core from LMC for $400 ooh their price when up to $460 now :eek: -- personally I would do that (and did) before trying to retrofit the newer interior, unless that's just what you want.
This has me leaning towards an interior swap vs body swap on my 93 K250 Burb. The bulkhead connector on the 95 1500 donor is different as is the ECU connectors and 4L60 to 80 connectors also so rewiring is going to have to be done either way. Add in the unknowns of the evaps and heater cores and fighting 2 bodies on the lift and onto trailers ain't worth it.
Thinking of doing it in stages by cutting out harness' for the cluster and doors along with the separate HVAC harness. Radio wiring will be new for aftermarket head and amp.
It looks like the cluster wire colors are the same so that's a plus. The 93 diagrams suck but it looks like the connector are different, will the pins inter-change or is it cut and splice??
Windows, locks, and seats are my priority.

Last edited:

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clusters between 92-99 are actually electrically very similar; the wiring for them is forward and backward compatible between 92-99 - you just have to re-pin the connectors to the correct pin-outs.

The stereo connectors are the same between all 88-99 - 95+ lack dash speakers however, having moved them to the front doors.

HVAC systems are physically the same, electrically different between 88-94/95+; but they're on a completely separate harness from the rest of the dash electronics, so all you'd need to do is swap the door motors and wiring/resistor module to use the newer HVAC controller.. Might need to repin and/or splice two or three connections for the A/C, grounds, power, etc... But it's pretty easy to figure out. Or just keep the electronic controller and retrofit it into the newer dash. The heater box itself is identical 88-99 tho.

Depending on which steering column/wheel you want to use... If you stick with the 93's column, no change needs to be made - however if you decide to go with the 99's column, you'll need to completely rewire the ignition system in the cab, swap the column support bracket that's spot-welded to the firewall, and change the transmission shifting linkage setup to the cable setup the later models use.

For the door panels, you'll need the exterior panels (with the switches and stuff) and the interior panels (that hold the window motor, lock actuator, lock and handle rods, and wiring). The interior panels are directly swappable, no modifications needed, and the windows and tracks are all the same 88-99.

I went the other direction: 97 truck, 94 interior. I ended up fully custom-rewiring the entire interior. It's one hell of a job lol. For your 93, you can get a brand new dash core from LMC for $400 ooh their price when up to $460 now :eek: -- personally I would do that (and did) before trying to retrofit the newer interior, unless that's just what you want.
I have a 96 and highly interested in changing to the square dash i could get from LMC. Do you have some links to info or videos?