99 completely stock 454 upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebigcar

Reaction score
I'm completely satisfied with this pickup as far as pulling and everything. I know there is no helping gas milage. I didnt buy it for gas milage. I'm curious what are some of the easier ways to boost HP, or do I wait till stuff starts breaking to do that? kind of new to the big block family. Or if there is any PMs that should be done. Its a 99 with 92k for miles.
The most important question: What's your budget?

The BIGGEST low buck HP increase you can make on a gen VI 7.4 is swapping the cam and valve springs BUT the factory flat top pistons means you can only go with a pretty mild lift before the valves start kissing the pistons. 454s are historically NOTORIOUS for not having enough valve area vs displacement meaning it can't breath so your first step should be maxing out your valve lift. At the same time get yourself a 0411 PCM in the junkyard for cheap, buy new PCM connectors, repin your existing wires to the corresponding pinout and have it tuned by pros on a dyno .... the 0411 upgrade is a night and day difference, the main one being your redline is no longer hardware limited to 5500rpm AND you can change your shift points.

Check out Lawrence Tolmans channel and the performance upgrades he did on his 7.4 Suburban via Youtube