98 Z71 multifunction switch is multifunky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cruise had quit working recently and now windshield washer fluid has quit also.
I'm jumping to the conclusion that the mf switch is bad after 311k miles. I got one from O'Reilly's the other day for 100.00. I haven't replaced it yet and it looks like the original but when you move the turn signal left or right the click sounds "cheap".
I was wondering if anybody has replaced several and has any preference in parts suppliers. I think O'Reilly's showed an AC Delco on the screen but it would have had to been ordered. I think it was 40-60 more dollars. That's probably what I should get.
It's gonna take a "minute" to replace.
Thanks for any recommendations.
I'm going huntin right now.
I'll worry with it next week.

Chevy-SS

Reaction score
For some parts, I will use store brands. But I have learned many hard lessons over the years, and one of those lessons is to use genuine OEM parts for some items (fuel pump immediately comes to mind).

Anyway, for this MF switch, I would say it's a complete no-brainer to get the GM part. Here's a good place to buy that part, or at least get the part #: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some parts, I will use store brands. But I have learned many hard lessons over the years, and one of those lessons is to use genuine OEM parts for some items (fuel pump immediately comes to mind).

Anyway, for this MF switch, I would say it's a complete no-brainer to get the GM part. Here's a good place to buy that part, or at least get the part #: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Yep. I'm the same way on fuel pumps for it and also the Mickey Mouse spider fuel injection. But I will say the most recent fuel injection assy I got from GM has been working good. I've talked to other people that have a 98 model bc and they've never had any problems with it on theirs. I think I put four on mine. First time an aftermarket, it was from Napa and it lasted a year and they replaced it under warranty. And then when it started acting up I went with OE the last two times. All of that was over 20 years and 311k miles. But I thank you for helping convince me. I got pretty good at replacing the spider but that don't mean I enjoyed it.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought this a while back, odds are probably pretty high that most of the cheap ones are made by one company and rebranded...

You must be registered for see images attach

This one is clunky, the turn lever is stiff and it has trouble with the turn signal cancel thing. The one issue that is aggravating is the intermittent wiper.

Normally, you turn it to intermittent and it immediately turns on the wipers, waits a few seconds and then hits the second swipe. On this one, it waits for that duration between swipes to pass before it even starts the first pass. So you turn it on, wait a few seconds for it to count down and then it starts. It is surprisingly annoying.

The lettering has already worn off after two years, but my old factory one was pretty much gone as well. In hindsight, I would have spent the $200 or so for the Delco part.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be more inclined to start with re-soldering the wiper circuit board (super common failure area) and checking for other causes of the cruise not working, like a failed brake switch...

Richard

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be more inclined to start with re-soldering the wiper circuit board (super common failure area) and checking for other causes of the cruise not working, like a failed brake switch...

Richard
Thank you Richard. Somebody mentioned the ground for the cc is run into the high brake light I think. I guess when you touch the brakes it opens the circuit and kills the cc connection? And if that's the case you do still have working brake lights, it just ain't doing it's thing with the the cc.Is that how it works?
I do remember putting the wiper circuit board on it a few years ago.
I figured when the cc quit working and then the washer quit squirting all of that microwiring was beginning to wear. The wiper action is all still good.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98 service manuals are here...

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Somewhere in those four volumes it will have the diagnostic for cruise control not working, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Here are the wiring diagrams from alldatadiy, it’s usually the same thing as the GM manual.

And the wiper washer diagnostic, also from alldata and likely similar to what is in the manual...

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, that's some good sittin on the throne readin material. I appreciate it. I checked with a friend of mine at a Chevy dealer on the switch. The best he could do was 369.00. It listed over 500.00. I'll probably go with the partsdirect link you sent me if it turns out to be the switch. Thanks again.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't start getting off into the weeds about the CHMSL or anything like that. The brake switch, which I mentioned, is a very cheaply made device and fails commonly. There are several sets of contacts in there and that's how you can have a brake switch failure that messes up cruise but you can still have brake lights.

As far as wiring failures of the multifunction switch, I've seen it, but so far it only seems to affect the high/low beam function as for some reason those wires are stupid thin and break from frequent use of the tilt.

Richard