98 vortec bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to put my engine back together. Anyone know if there is a list of different bolts and sizes needed. For example water pump bolts. Pulley bolts, . A complete list would be helpful because

It's been a while since I pulled the engine and I'm am sure I misplaced some.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Gather all the bolts and clean them up. Then start sorting them by likeness. That'll help you figure out where they go.
You can get stainless bolt kits, but how close it matches your engine, whatever it is, I dont know.

I bought stainless stud kit for my valve covers.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So nobody mentioned that you get a ziplock FREEZER quart bag throw part group nuts and bolts in bag, write on bag with sharpie " water pump" , distributor, alternator and so forth? Leave them greasy, oily till your ready to install, them clean and inspect, replace crappy ones.
Almost nobody can remember what sizes go in each hole. ( Now was that a stud with nut or just a bolt/ cap screw?) You can get close, but better to have recorded on bag.
Three to six dollars for bunch of ziplock bags is a lot cheaper than the heartburn, headache, frustration of " uh honey where's that coffee can of bolts I had on the counter?" Deadly silence.... " Oh that greasy thing I threw it out"
Yes my mother actually did that to my dad. And I got in my Chevelle and drove away from the coming apocalypse. Good luck!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a list of different bolts and sizes needed. For example water pump bolts. Pulley bolts,
The GM dealer will have a complete list. The counter-person will not be happy about having to look all those assemblies up, especially if you're not buying them all.

Be sure to tell him if it's a Vortec 5.7L or a Vortec 7.4L. (Did the K2500s ever get a 4.3L or 5.0L?)

"I" would put the thing together as a "trial assembly", figure out which bolt positions you're missing...and then figure out what bolts are needed by thread pitch and length using the hole as a guide for thread pitch, and the accessory to be bolted on, plus enough extra for thread engagement, flat washers/lock washers/brackets as a guide to length.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Getting ready to put my engine back together. Anyone know if there is a list of different bolts and sizes needed. For example water pump bolts. Pulley bolts, . A complete list would be helpful because

It's been a while since I pulled the engine and I'm am sure I misplaced some.
ARP engine bolt kit at Summit Racing PN 534-9803

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that the fasteners change depending on which accessory setup you have. Sometimes they're bolts, sometimes they're double-ended studs. The bolt kit isn't a bad idea, except when you need to bolt on a bracket.

Here's a link to the parts catalogs, which have bolt sizes, but there aren't any catalogs for the Vortecs. There will be some minor differences, most notably the fan clutch attaches with a big nut instead of bolts.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So nobody mentioned that you get a ziplock FREEZER quart bag throw part group nuts and bolts in bag, write on bag with sharpie " water pump" , distributor, alternator and so forth? Leave them greasy, oily till your ready to install, them clean and inspect, replace crappy ones.
Almost nobody can remember what sizes go in each hole. ( Now was that a stud with nut or just a bolt/ cap screw?) You can get close, but better to have recorded on bag.
Three to six dollars for bunch of ziplock bags is a lot cheaper than the heartburn, headache, frustration of " uh honey where's that coffee can of bolts I had on the counter?" Deadly silence.... " Oh that greasy thing I threw it out"
Yes my mother actually did that to my dad. And I got in my Chevelle and drove away from the coming apocalypse. Good luck!
I did label and put most everything in a baggie. I can't seem to find the bolt for the balancer at the moment so was just worried I may have misplaced other ones. Just want to see f there was a way to look them up just in case I run into trouble

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know on big block Cadillacs the balancer bolt is optional, but I don't know if it was optional on SBCs. I don't like to run without it. Do you remember taking it out?