98 Vortec 350 - comp ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diptenkrom

Reaction score
You're assuming the published compression ratios are accurate. This is not true so your calculations from that number are not going to be accurate either. Never, have I ever measured a tear down that was even close to advertised numbers. Ford, Chevy, or Mopar. The only way for certain to calculate compression is to measure what you have or are building. If you want to run on the ragged edge of detonation one mis-step and you've built a detonation prone ticking time bomb.

Most published numbers come from a specially handled engine not your average run of the mill production line engine that's can be prone to tolerance stack up, built on worn tooling, core shift, etc.

Measure everything. You don't always hear detonation and when you do the damage may have already started.

I agree with what you are saying, i know where assumptions get you, which is why i started this thread. however i have decided to skip the decking and compression adding, other than a thin-ish HG at this point. I want reliable, daily driver capable, towing power, and i can do that without the decking.

Diptenkrom

Reaction score
I bought the parts for my upgrade/repair.
I have another question now.

I got Ramjet/HT383 cam, Beehive Springs, CompCams retainers and 1.6 rockers (roller tip, as there were no stamped ones, and i dont see the need to spend abunch of money on aluminum, and the ratio makes more difference than anythign else anyway from all the reading i have done), and a set of GM performance composite head gaskets.

all of this should be good together from my reading and from responses in this thread. - i was looking at headers, but i want to be able to change plugs without extra hassle. I also want shorties and not to spend $500 on a set. is there a budget header option that doesnt interfere with plugs? can ramshorns be made to work without too much trouble? should i just port the stock manifolds for ease and savings since it is just a tow vehicle that does not need to impress anyone?

Should i expect to top 300hp/400tq with this setup?

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the parts for my upgrade/repair.
I have another question now.

I got Ramjet/HT383 cam, Beehive Springs, CompCams retainers and 1.6 rockers (roller tip, as there were no stamped ones, and i dont see the need to spend abunch of money on aluminum, and the ratio makes more difference than anythign else anyway from all the reading i have done), and a set of GM performance composite head gaskets.

all of this should be good together from my reading and from responses in this thread. - i was looking at headers, but i want to be able to change plugs without extra hassle. I also want shorties and not to spend $500 on a set. is there a budget header option that doesnt interfere with plugs? can ramshorns be made to work without too much trouble? should i just port the stock manifolds for ease and savings since it is just a tow vehicle that does not need to impress anyone?

Should i expect to top 300hp/400tq with this setup?

I put pacesetter shorties on mine. Bought them off Rockauto and fitment was fantastic. No denting, no die grinding the holes...just get spendy on the percy's square port gaskets. I actually bolted them to the engine before I dropped it in there.

Also for reference I am running 10.25:1 compression with aluminum heads, marine cam, and no issues yet.