98 Vortec 350 - comp ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No worries. I wasn't trying to call you out, but I think we need to be as accurate as we can in discussing these things.

Speaking of nitro, Hot Rod had a really good article many years ago on The Surfers and how they owned the nitro drags through a solid application of hot rod ingenuity and a knowledge of chemistry. They ran the same Hilborn fuel injection setup as everyone else, but secretly drilled their own nozzles for better atomization. Their motor sounded nastier than everyone else's, and when a competitor asked how much gas they were mixing with their nitro, they played dumb, saying, "You're supposed to mix it?"

as accurate as we can when the accuracy part is of no concern to most. i appreciate your attitude on it. we can be accurate with proof from formulas, research articles, timeslips, etc: but some (most) will believe those with more internet notoriety. so, i find it easier to just invoke (provoke?) thought than to type a kagillion words. know how to sync a set of multi carbs on a motor that wont hold steady vacuum? i bet you could get a hundred answers, and some would go out of their way to find the wrong answer on the web, and then come back and preach their newfound gospel. i have ecently heard of a new fangled fuel enhancer. they called it meth. hahaha

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^This. Scavenging is important but forcing the piston down is more important. Engines are heat pumps, dumping heat to the atmosphere means lower thermodynamic efficiency.

huge HP supercars of today are using that wasted enegy to cook off smog. lol and they are the most efficient engines ever produced for daily drivers. i doubt in my lifetime i would see cold exhaust on a running automobile engine, but i would love for it to happen. maybe when they get 100% ethanol figured out. or if we could make a deal with china for some of the rare earth magnets.?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as accurate as we can when the accuracy part is of no concern to most. i appreciate your attitude on it. we can be accurate with proof from formulas, research articles, timeslips, etc: but some (most) will believe those with more internet notoriety. so, i find it easier to just invoke (provoke?) thought than to type a kagillion words. know how to sync a set of multi carbs on a motor that wont hold steady vacuum? i bet you could get a hundred answers, and some would go out of their way to find the wrong answer on the web, and then come back and preach their newfound gospel. i have ecently heard of a new fangled fuel enhancer. they called it meth. hahaha

Balancing carbs sounds fun...Try balancing the 3 carbs on a Mercury 1150 6 cylinder inline 2 stroke outboard. They were always a real PITA. The Twisters were even worse. 6 individual throttle butterflys.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those 115 hp mercs were a love em or hate em kinda deal. lol 2 inner pistons loved to stick to the cylinder walls. omc carried ski rope, merc carried tow rope. lol sure were smooth tho, when you used the right screws in the correct sequence to balance top to center, bottom to center, top to bottom. do i get a popsickle? i dont reckon i remember a twisters, but i do remember the straight six motorcycles, but they held vacuum so it was easy.

Diptenkrom

Reaction score
wow a lot happened here in a day and a half, lol.

i am debating on the 1.6 rockers and changing springs, i know it makes a difference, but is it worth the extra $230 on otp of already spending $570?

I'm thinking just all or nothing at this point - do it "right" or don't do it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always a fan of new, quality springs over reusing the old springs, especially if you're upping the stress on them. When a valvespring breaks, so does your motor. Rockers are much less likely to cause catastrophic damage.

I looked into 1.6 rockers for my Suburban, but I couldn't find any stamped self-aligning 1.6s. Roller 1.6 self-aligning rockers are not cheap. I reused the stockers in it. The rockers in my truck are cheapo 1.5 self-aligning ProForms - the LS2/LS6 valvesprings are only about 10% stiffer than stock, so I figured I'd take a chance on them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I would not waste my time on roller tip. The friction reduction is more from the fulcrum than the tip. Ever notice the LS have roller fulcrum and fixed tip. If you are going to spend $180 for minimal gains just do it right, spend a little more and go full roller. I had Jegs brand 1.6s on my L31 350 in the Express van for several years. They fit under the stock valve covers without modification and worked great. If the heads are off anyway, I would suggest drilling the pushrod holes to 1/2" just to ensure there is adequate clearance.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/20145/10002/-1